The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Machine Polisher

SupraD06

Hiya guys, been reading through a few threads and have decided to buy a Meguires G220 machine polisher. The kit ive seen includes the following:

1x G220 Polisher

1x Meguires #83 Duel Action Cleaner Polish

1x Meguires #80 Speed Glaze

1x 7" Cutting pad

1x 7" Polishing pad

1x 7" Finish pad

The kit is 199.95 Inc Vat, not sure if anyone knows if it can be got cheaper?

So im just wondering if anyone has used this and can they comment on the results they got from this. Also which pads are used with what product as there are three pads but only two products to use with them.

Having never used one of these before am i likely to damage the paint or is it safe to use even for a novice?

A lot of people had reliability problems with the G220's. The Kestrel DAS-6 is about 50 quid cheaper which is what I went for and have had no problems, and there don't seem to be any reliability issues with them. That said, the Meguiars customer service is meant to sort it out pretty efficiently if it does go wrong.

I got the Meguiars kit which comprises of all the things you've listed. Although it's best to use the least aggresive compounds & pads first (#83 is the most aggresive in the kit) I would use the cutting(if you need to)/polishing pad with the #83 and the polishing/finishing pad with the speed glaze. You don't need to use them all you just need to use what is appropriate. Start with the polishing pad on a low speed with the #80 on a panel and see how you get on. I don't think you'll damage the paint by using that combo. Ideally you should have a paint thickness gauge to see how much leighway you have but I think they're quite pricey. Just don't hold the cutting pad with the #83 against the same spot for 5 minutes and you should be ok.

i4detailing.co.uk and cleanyourcar.co.uk were the best prices for me. I think i4detailing have a discount code of DWX (best to double check on detailingworld). Hope that helps.

I was looking at buying one of those meguiars a few months back but the price put me off! Bought a halfords one for £30 instead!! What waxes are you gonna use with that? I use Zymol, makes a good finish, but i've never tried anything else so dont know how it compares!

I think i4detailing have a discount code of DWX (best to double check on detailingworld). Hope that helps.

DW ;)

I'd go for this one as a starter myself and save a lot of money without any loss in performance or end results :)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polishing-machine/das-6-dual-action-polisher-sonus-kit/prod_520.html

As for damaging the car, get a scrap panel and work on that first, it's very hard to do damage with the dual action but I've seen plenty of folk giving it a good go :blink:

Mind and get some detailing clay as well (bit hamber is great stuff), invest in quality MF cloths (nip to your local cosco, the yellow ones from there are great and dirt cheap).

This was the result I got with the Sonus kit on my old TT and that was hard as nails german paint (always use menz on it now).

Just remember, the final finish is all dependent on the preparation so don't skimp on anything ;)

Good luck

PS, Don't fall for all the hype in the detailing world, lot of people on detailing world just wanting you to buy their gear :taped:

Thanks for that, i did read that having the paint checked for thickness but dont realy want to spend more money on a guage, the car has quite abit of clear lacquer on and had orange peal effect on the doors and wings so should be ok to go over if im carefull. Ill try the least aggresive combo and just go slow and fingers crossed i wont burn through

Uh oh. How much did that cost you?

Nothing, it's just another one of those things that folk say you "need" to have and all part of the hype IMO.

I "used" to do this for a living and common sense and the cautious approach always wins.

Well both of you have said about the DAS-6 so that may be what i go for, can you just confirm what product you used with which pad Todd?

Easiest way to tell, the harder the pad, the thicker the paste will be, no matter what you go for :D

Softer the pad, usually meant for applying your final polish, hard pad is geared for applying your heavier compounds.

Dave over on DW did a great write up that I strongly recommend you read as it covers nearly everything you need to know about machine polishing, compounds and pads.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

EDIT: Sonus is better for starting out IMO but the Menz is better gear and will get defects out a lot better.

Nothing, it's just another one of those things that folk say you "need" to have and all part of the hype IMO.

I "used" to do this for a living and common sense and the cautious approach always wins.

Ah ok, I think I read into the sad face too much. Did you find there is anything special about the Supra's paint? I'm finding it quite difficult to remove the swirls on mine. I've heard it's quite soft paint but I don't know how that affects polishing.

I've heard it's quite soft paint but I don't know how that affects polishing.

Softer it is the easier it is to remove defects.

I was always told Toyota paint was soft but always found them middle of the road, not nearly as bad as VAG paint.

Then again, you never know a cars history and how much paint it may have had so always be cautious.

If you are finding it hard to remove the swirls, trying reducing the size of area you are working on, you know, instead of trying to do the bonnet in one go :D

If you are finding it hard to remove the swirls, trying reducing the size of area you are working on, you know, instead of trying to do the bonnet in one go :D

lol, you might be onto something there. I'm getting a shot of a mates garage for a night so will see how I get on there. Cheers mate.