ColourCoat - Paint

3-stage

BaseCoat - Primer

ColourCoat - Paint

Clearcoat - Laquer.

Courtesy of detailingworld.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=93005&d=1243175546

Mike

Ahh! thats where the confusion is coming from, all metallics, pearls are known as two stage, base-clear, IE colour coat and clear lacquer.

The other your referring to as two stage is actually know as solid, and requires no clear coat to achieve a gloss.

All metallics/pearls etc need a clear coat for shine.

My Supra was the std black and had lacquer.

When i've done it, i've painted using a clear coat aswell as without. Makes no difference, but as said a lacquer is not needed. When you polish your car and you see black on the rag it means theres no clear coat ;)

Then you must have been using a solid colour, you can't/shouldn't polish a base coat.

There seems to be some confusion over terminology LOL!

Primer= exactly what it says, to most people its the first coat over bare metal, but it does come in several different types and colours.

Base-coat= this is where people start to get confused,to most professional painters this is a colour coat which is usually a metallic or pearl, but can also be what is known as a solid colour, but all of these require a clear-coat/lacquer over to achieve the final shade/colour and gloss.

Clear-coat/lacquer= this is just what it suggests, a see through, final and protective layer over whatever colour.

Most vehicles today are finished this way even if the colour its going over is a solid, IE non metallic.

Solid colour= this is basically a non metallic/pearl colour that drys to a gloss finish, usually found these days on commercial vehicles and some cars.

There are a few more permutations, but these are usually confined to the custom side of painting.

Finally, all car paint finishes will benefit from what is know in the trade as "nib and polish" in the USA as "colour sand" which translates to going over the finish with a very fine wet n dry paper, followed by machine polishing with a very fine abrasive paste, to achieve a very shiny finish.

Hope this clarifies things a bit, other professionals please chime in if i have forgotten something important, but try not to make it any more confusing for people that don't have a clue:)

EDIT. It seems more clarification is needed, so for Jamie and others.

The two stage, and three stage people keep referring to is actually leading to more confusion, so i will try and simplify.

All paint finishes require a PRIMER over the bare or sometimes over the previously painted surface,

so in the interests of simplicity we will disregard this, so as mentioned above, that just leaves either a solid colour that needs no lacquer, which is what people are calling two stage,

and a metallic or similar that will require a lacquer over the top which is where the three stage is coming from.

So in reality as all paint needs primer, there is only solid (one stage) or base-clear (two stage)

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

Primer= exactly what it says, to most people its the first coat over bare metal, but it does come in several different types and colours.

Base-coat= this is where people start to get confused,to most professional painters this is a colour coat which is usually a metallic or pearl, but can also be what is known as a solid colour, but all of these require a clear-coat/lacquer over to achieve the final shade/colour and gloss.

Clear-coat/lacquer= this is just what it suggests, a see through, final and protective layer over whatever colour.

Most vehicles today are finished this way even if the colour its going over is a solid, IE non metallic.

Solid colour= this is basically a non metallic/pearl colour that drys to a gloss finish, usually found these days on commercial vehicles and some cars.

There are a few more permutations, but these are usually confined to the custom side of painting.

Finally, all car paint finishes will benefit from what is know in the trade as "nib and polish" in the USA as "colour sand" which translates to going over the finish with a very fine wet n dry paper, followed by machine polishing with a very fine abrasive paste, to achieve a very shiny finish.

Hope this clarifies things a bit, other professionals please chime in if i have forgotten something important, but try not to make it any more confusing for people that don't have a clue:)

Good call and well written:thumbs:

Why I ought to ... :tongue:

cheers guys.

Mike

• 1 month later...
What does the above mean?

202 is a non-metallic paint, would you need to put lacquer as the final coat or not?

it depends on what paint you use

if using high solid paint then no,

if using basecoat then yes as it requires a laquer , the basecoat itself is very weak and would chip/scratch/peel very easily without clearcoat

for example if you went to halfrauds and bought an aerosol can of 202 then you will definately need to laquer as the paint they supply in aerosol is basecoat :cool:

solid colour means it is a high solid (paint it on, let it dry , polish it )

clear over base means you must apply a clearcoat laquer onto the colour

Edited by animal-z
me being dumb (see edit history)

My red van is a solid colour, when you polish it the colour comes off onto the cloth. Solid colour is very common on commercial vehicles.

Nearly all cars nowadays have a lacquer over the base colour, when you polish it the colour won't appear on the cloth as it is under the lacquer.