The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aquaplaining!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gt4tosupra

Help! Was just coming home from work and saw a big patch of waterlogged motorway in front of me (about 15 foot long patch) was only doing 65mph, but took my foot off the accelerator. When the car got onto the watery patch it started to aquaplain, slightly sliding sideways, only slightly, which somehow i managed to control! The tyres i'm using are Toyo T1R's, should this be happening? Any advice? :blink:

Mine aquaplanes really badly, jumps sideways, skids, loses complete control, frightens me to death in standing water.

Guess that's why they only put skinny tyres on Smart Cars as standard (does go great round corners in the dry now though with fat ones on) :D

G

I always found when I had TR-1s they were great in the dry and performed very well in the wet. They have the V tread which I believe is designed to disperse the water. I would check your tread depth as that will make a lot of difference.

it depends how deep the water is. i guess at 65 if the water is 1-2 inches deep your going to be into aquaplaining teritory.

I certainly wouldnt be going 65 through standing water.

Be carefull and learn from your mistake. Or your next one might be your or your cars last.

cheers pal, will definately take it even easier in the wet now, its been raining REALLY hard here this week! Any advice on better wet grip tyres though? I'm not too bothered if it means losing dry grip, as the dry grip at the mo is absolutely immense!! :D

Holy cow!! just checked the rear tyres, and the only good bit left is the outer part on show! The centre and inner part is very low on tread!! Guess i just assumed that they'd last a lot longer than this! How long do Toyo T1r's last roughly, on the back? i'm sure they had loads of tread when i bought the car 2.5 months ago! The front ones still have loads!

toyo tyres are great in the dry, i use R888 and they also aint the best in the wet, i used to use the older type T1S and they was really bad in puddles and deep water.

Just be carful in the wet as most toyo aint made for bad weather conditions.

lol and what do you expect? Its not a hovercraft

T1S should perform in puddles & deep water, they are a road tyre

Clarify "deep" though? I wouldnt be testing them too hard tbh

EDIT: Also i had T1R before and i found them good in the wet,then you have some guys saying theyre not good in the wet so who to believe?!

Clarify "deep" though? I wouldnt be testing them too hard tbh

EDIT: Also i had T1R before and i found them good in the wet,then you have some guys saying theyre not good in the wet so who to believe?!

I would have thought that since Littlenum is talking about T1R's that deep would have meant heavy road conditions and not the Atlantic Ocean :)

His isn't meanig those puddles that come upto your window, he means the usual puddles, and maybe ones that exceed that slightly, in those conditions T1R's with adequate tread should get you through fine without any worries :)