The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do you think the Mkiv Supra is a Super car?

Guest FKADizzmystar

Guest FKADizzmystar

i often wonder if the Supra is a super car, i know technically it isn't, But where in the list of cars does it fit. you make it BPU which is what, an exhaust and more boost, more or less and your giving mid range Ferrari's a run for there money (from what other people on this forum have said) and you have hardly spent the money on what you would for a Ferrari, and mid range Ferrari's would be classed as a super car just because they have a horse on it. you give the supra a lush looking body kit and it looks better than some super cars. if you never saw a Supra before and took the Toyota badges off and lower it with a body kit and nice rims would think it was one. in my eyes i think it is. The Supra, NSX-R and GTR would be the supra cars of japan.

The term "Supercar" is about an image more than anything.

The Supra may have the performance, but it does not have the image of a supercar.

Personally, I think the reason is that the Japanese manufacturers never built their cars with the same exclusivity goals that a lot of the european supercar manufacturers aspired to, created by short production runs, racing pedigrees and 6-figure pricing.

I also think this is a GOOD thing!! If the Supra was really perceived as a "supercar", I'd never have been able to afford one!

Edited by Snooze (see edit history)

Guest FKADizzmystar

what about if one of them had a JGTC body kit that made it wide as lol. ive seen pictures of them with a normal paint job and they look awesome

If a car is to be a super car, then it has to be one from the start. You can't mod it to make it one.

A supercar has to be exotic too, the supra isn't exclusive, it was mass produced. Not to say it isn't at heart a sort of honourary Supercar though. As... it does have elements from one :)

Probably the best way to phase it :)

Guest FKADizzmystar

yeah i know their there not a super car, but sometimes i just think they are with the way they look and handle and preform. i think it was need for speed 1 (way back in the day) that you could listen to the engine stats and performance stats e.c.t. and it said that of all the cars in the game the supra had the best handling and breaking. some of the other cars being - The Lamborghini Diablo SV, Ferrari Testrossa, Porsche 911 turbo, Corvette Zr1 e.c.t.

Guest Carsten

Nah it isnt a supercar. But, as mentioned before, a supracar.

Super cars are somewhat timeless. a.e. a Koenigsegg or a McLaren F1, Ferrari FXX and so one. Cars that you just cant afford to drive. Not even every rich one.

Our supra was THE CAR the time it came out, still doing great compared to current sport cars (porsche, m3, clk etc.) but even in the past it was not a super car.

My 2 cent

Supercar is a term used for a high-end sports car, typically an exotic or rare one, whose performance is highly superior to that of its contemporaries. The proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts. The use of the term is dependent on the era: a vehicle that is considered to be a supercar at one time may not retain its superiority in the future. The automotive press frequently calls new exotic cars "supercars".

Basically, no.

Would you class these two supras as Super cars, the ones we wish we had lol.

They're still supras, and have actually lost the plot in some respects.

Anyway, i wish i owned this example: :sly:

its where the supra/Celica's originated from and there are only a handful left.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_2000GT

bit of an ugly looking thing lol.

I know... I was just being sarcy, but thanks for the link!

Bored now............. :yawn:

I'll bring you some warm milk ;)