The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Disks - Stock or other

BillyC

Well, if anyones been following my rather moving experience of a simple brake pad change then you'll no doubt realise that the whole friggin thing has grown three heads and now I just cant seem to stop. I think I've developed a bit of a brake fetish or something.

Anyway, the pad change has metamorphasised into now having to replace one calliper as well. Which for some strange reason I dont even understand myself, now involves me waiting for 2 rear callipers. And getting rather interested in calliper painting threads and calliper refurb threads. Strange :search:

Anyway, thought I'd go the whole hog and might as well get some new disks as well. So after a sensible discssion I just told the Mrs straight out "No ifs and buts, no arguments, I'm getting some new disks whether you like it or not. So dont even start. You bought yourself some hair dye last week and I never moaned".

So we danced a while....

:stretch:

Anyway, dont suppose anyones interested in an Onkyo AV Amp or some Kef 5.2 speakers are they? The timing of the sales purely a coincidence cause I wanted to sell these anyway. No, honest I did.

But I digress.

I know its been asked about a million times before (but probably not with 3 broken fingers I dont suppose) but any recommendations for new rear disks for my poorly Jspec NA single pot (and thats currently shared between both callipers by the way) :blink:

I'm tempted to go for stock as you cant go wrong with them really.

But also tempted to go for some with grooves in, for no other reason really than they look cool. Not like I'm gonna track it or nothing.

Well not until the bruising goes down anyway.

So, stock or any other recommendations would be appreciated.

I think its best if I leave the suspension chat for another day.

Edited by BillyC (see edit history)

With jspec calipers anything other than stock is utterly pointless from a performance point of view, especially on the rears. They have by far the best tolerance & capabilty to avoid warping and cracking other that moving to seriously expensive options.

If you reach their limit on the road then you need to move to a higher specification braking system rather than pissing money away on cheap tat.

Unless of course you just want "the look".

Thanks for that Supranature. :blink: I've removed it from my browsing history already, as theres sharp implements around.

Homer, I think you just summed up what I knew already but just needed telling.

So, off to Mr T again tomorrow it is.

Pity Steve Maneys on holiday till Tuesday. Does anyone know if the other guys there give the same discount as him. Or is it just through him personally?

Ta

Pity Steve Maneys on holiday till Tuesday. Does anyone know if the other guys there give the same discount as him. Or is it just through him personally?

Try Chris Wilson or Whifbitz, they have recently been able to compete with Steve Manley's prices on quite a few parts.

Thanks for that Supranature. :blink: I've removed it from my browsing history already, as theres sharp implements around.

Homer, I think you just summed up what I knew already but just needed telling.

So, off to Mr T again tomorrow it is.

Ta

Definitely go for stock.

If you call Inchcape and tell them that you got their number off of mkivsupra.net they'll sort you out a discount. The manager of the parts dept. is Adrian.

Best of luck!

Does anyone know if the other guys there give the same discount as him. Or is it just through him personally?

Ta

Toyota in Aberdeen do the same discount for club members, ask for Brian. (01224 249246)

Keith

Toyota in Aberdeen do the same discount for club members, ask for Brian. (01224 249246)

Keith

Cheers for that mate. Just spoke to Brian and he really is a nice bloke. With the postage though it still works out more expensive as I cant get up to Aberdeen to collect.

However, he has given me a figure (£82.40 each) to take to my local Toyota guy and ask I can ask him to match it.