The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help removing brake discs

EdMorris

Ok, so I've done a search and tried everything suggested in order to remove my rear brake discs.

Wound the shoes in and also tried using two bolts in the small threaded holes (the bolts don't bite strongly enough and just lose grip). No joy whatsoever. I'm now at a loss and so any help would be appreciated. I don't want to use excessive force as this normally ends in tears and extra expense.

As a note the offside is really binding even with the shoes wound in, but the other side is freely moving and still not budging.

and also tried using two bolts in the small threaded holes (the bolts don't bite strongly enough and just lose grip).

Are you sure you've got the right size of bolts? It's a bigger thread than it looks. Mine were stuck on solid but came off no bother when I used this method.

M8 x 1.25 pitch, the common M8 pitch. Plastic or alloy faced mallet, a GOOD belt from the back pad face and they should come free. Not ideal as it COULD bruise the hub bearings, but if nothing else works.... If you have oxy-acetylene available heating the hub face of the discs should free them, too. A blow lamp won't have enough ooomph.

:D

bash bash bash stupid f-ing bash bash -what's that -oops... :blush:

Lol...excellent:)

Tried hitting the front top leading edge (not the disc)where the shoes are under.....and have you slackened the shoes right off, bit of wd40 wouldnt be a bad idea either...oh copper hammer is best

M8 x 1.25 pitch, the common M8 pitch. Plastic or alloy faced mallet, a GOOD belt from the back pad face and they should come free. Not ideal as it COULD bruise the hub bearings, but if nothing else works.... If you have oxy-acetylene available heating the hub face of the discs should free them, too. A blow lamp won't have enough ooomph.

Hmm, I tried this exact size. I'll stop being a girl about it and try again, with judicious use of a soft face hammer.

Cheers all.