The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question about Waxing

TonyP

That's waxing the car not any body parts.lol.

I clean my car following the method in Lewis's guide here. I would suggest every new member reads this.

I use the Meguiars three step system. I know that a good finish is achieved by putting maximum time an effort into the polishing stage but my query is about the application of the wax.

I know that the wax is just a final finishing touch but is there any advantage to:

1. Applying more wax?

2. Rubbing harder/longer?

3. Waxing once and then repeating immediately?

4. Waxing once and then repeating the next day?

Or is it, as Mr Miyagi said, just a case of wax on wax off?

For subsequent applications of wax to have any effect - i.e. build upon the previous layers and give further protection, the first layer needs to harden/cure/'go off' first.

This takes about a day normally but I think there are products on the market to speed up the curing process.

Hi Tony,

1. Applying more wax?

Yes, the more wax applied the greater protection and durability it will give you, up to a point. I would say generally over 3 layers you are wasting product. It is important though to make sure you only apply a very thin layer at a time and always avoid going back to the tub for more, you will be surprised how far a small amount will go. But, questions 3 and 4 will explain more.

2. Rubbing harder/longer?

If a wax is left to cure for the correct time for a given product, you shouldnt really need to apply a huge amount of pressure to remove it, but once the residue has been removed then there isnt much point in buffing it any further.

3. Waxing once and then repeating immediately?

4. Waxing once and then repeating the next day?

This will depend on the product used. Some can be left for 20-30 mins to fully cure and then be removed, others can be left over night if you wish. But, even once the first layer has been buffed off, depending on the product depends how soon another layer can be applied. For example if i was applying 2 layers of Vics Concourse, i would do one layer and leave to cure for 30 mins then remove. By the time i had applied a sealant to the wheels or done a few small jobs i would then be perfectly happy to apply a second layer, leave it 30 mins to cure and then remove. But if i was using something like Collonite, then i would leave for 24 hrs before applying a second layer.

Even after a wax has been buffed off it can still take a reasonable amount of time to fully cure. Even with using the Vics, if i applied a layer one evening and removed it. If i left it garaged overnight and came to apply a second layer in the morning, i would always give the car a once over with a microfibre and some Last Touch to make sure any oils that have risen are first removed as the wax will breath during this time.

It can be a difficult area and always best to find out what products require what process to ensure you get the best from them and also to make sure you dont make your own life difficult.

I would recommend using a better wax than comes with the Meguiars 3 step system though, as it offers very little in terms of durability, in my opinion.

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)