The mkiv Supra Owners Club

looking at a few cars

supraspeed

ok i'm looking at a few auto tt's and ive contacted a few people about mods etc. one guy seems to have a jspec bpu setup (minus aftermarket intercooler i think) but when asked the boost he said it runs 1.5 bar. i was under the impression that its bad on jspec turbos for this and did email the guy about if the turbo's are hybrid/uk and not got back yet. anyone any info or if it has been running like this for some time, is it wise to walk away?

mmm, really nice car as well but seems strange that someone who has quite a few bpu mods is running such an un neccesarry high boost. i must admit that this person didn't seem that sure about some of my quite basic questions so prob best to walk away and let the engine detonate into a thousand pieces from bits of turbo instead :rolleyes:

yeah i thought of just turning the boost down but i would never know how much damage has been done to the turbos unless taken off and inspected....which is prob not what this guy has in mind of a potential buyer doing. its about an hour 1/2 from me so not to the end of the earth to get to. more questions to ask i think. see if i can swing it to my advantage...

yeah i thought of just turning the boost down but i would never know how much damage has been done to the turbos unless taken off and inspected....which is prob not what this guy has in mind of a potential buyer doing. its about an hour 1/2 from me so not to the end of the earth to get to. more questions to ask i think. see if i can swing it to my advantage...

If you do go and look at it...TAKE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING AT, even if you have to pay them, I have my cars inspected now, it just is not worth buying a pup, especially a TT and they are expensive to fix well ;)

cheers, now to find someone who knows what to look for. just a quick question, did they do tt auto's with the active spoiler only in the UK as i thought tt auto's were all jspec? just someone has advertised a tt auto with front active spoiler and wondered if its a uk spec and they havent mentioned it.

cheers, now to find someone who knows what to look for. just a quick question, did they do tt auto's with the active spoiler only in the UK as i thought tt auto's were all jspec? just someone has advertised a tt auto with front active spoiler and wondered if its a uk spec and they havent mentioned it.

There is an active spoiler on a jspec TT model, some will be removed if a FMIC is fitted

The jspec TT auto's came with the active spoiler as well (although it seemed optional as not all have them). Tooquick is correct above, get any car fully checked out by someone who knows these cars very well.

1.5 bar is very bad news on a bpu car, but you knew that really anyway right

1.2 bar maybe 1.3 peak max for BPU, and that is if he/she has all the supporting mods

I'm sure it's only Jspec that run 1.2 Bar on BPU, thought UK spec could run 1.4 on BPU

Bearing in mind all this comes from a man with an N/A so i'm probably way off:Pling:

I'm sure it's only Jspec that run 1.2 Bar on BPU, thought UK spec could run 1.4 on BPU

Bearing in mind all this comes from a man with an N/A so i'm probably way off:Pling:

They can both run anything you like until they go pop

Safe BPU is 1.2 max 1.3 bar with BPU mods, the UK's are running larger injectors so will run more fuel, they may take 1.3 with a little more ease but the tubbies are running out of puff, some members run more, but at a risk, will need an ECU etc to control fuel and an AFR and EGT gauge to watch fuel and exhaust temps

is there a great deal power/spool etc more by raising them to 1.3 rather 1.2 or is it just the idea it will make a huge difference? just if its regarded as a bit unsafe there must be a worthy reason.

On a jspec, no. At 1.2bar the injectors are at the absolute limit of the fuel they can supply so are borderline running lean at very high load. UK spec is another matter, but going past 1.2bar on either will give seriously deminishing gains due to the extra heat generated.

Peak boost pressure makes no difference to spool times once the stock restriction is removed (cats)

I know the UK spec has bigger injectors but it also has ceramic turbos unlike it's japanese counterpart hence the possability of running more boost

Nope, the UK spec has a steel exducer, the jspec has ceramic. This is one reason why the UK spec has a more laggy turbo response, the jspec a much quicker spool time.

The only reason the UK can run a little more boost is that the steel turbo's are a little hardier and (primarily) has larger injectors and an ECU which fuels it rich. It's still pretty pointless though, due to the heat issues.

so why do people sometimes run more than say 1.2 on a jspec if it only produces more heat and no more power or faster spool? seems a bit pointless??

As mentioned, it's diminishing gains (and increased risk) but some folks like to push things a little further, there's no spool benefit as mentioned but gives a very small peak power gain. It's pretty rare for someone to run that level of boost on a stock fuel system with no aftermarket ECU and mapping. Not sure who you mean by 'some people', got any names as to who has done this? I would expect them to have further mods beyond the stock system and mapping to suit.

As mentioned, it's diminishing gains (and increased risk) but some folks like to push things a little further, there's no spool benefit as mentioned but gives a very small peak power gain. It's pretty rare for someone to run that level of boost on a stock fuel system with no aftermarket ECU and mapping. Not sure who you mean by 'some people', got any names as to who has done this? I would expect them to have further mods beyond the stock system and mapping to suit.

just seen a few pistonheads and ebay cars in the past claiming over 1.2 bar boost, usually without supporting mods, then saying its 500bhp at 1.4 bar with a "zorst" and halfords air filter :rolleyes:

just seen a few pistonheads and ebay cars in the past claiming over 1.2 bar boost, usually without supporting mods, then saying its 500bhp at 1.4 bar with a "zorst" and halfords air filter :rolleyes:

That's known as "bullshit" :D