The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air leak cause significant loss in boost?

Duffman

Yes. Check all hoses for splits and make sure all the clamps are tight and making a good seal. Mine did this recently and was a split hose coming from the fmic

edit - just seen other thread

Have tried just about everything I can think off but will have another look at intercooler piping

• 2 months later...
And it hit 1.2 bar before? Turbo problem?

It was boosting to 1 bar before...then had it in TTC and was spiking at 1.3 bar so put back to normal. Don't think it's a turbo problem though. The noise makes me think it's a leak somewhere

The number of cars I get in where someone says they have checked all the hoses beween the turbo and the throttle body and they are perfect. An hour later I have a split hose in my hand, or a clip has slipped or been badly fitted. REMOVE all the hoses and check them inside and out, and under tension and compression. It may be something else but I'd bet you haven't removed them all. It's the only proper way unless you make the kit to pressurise the system with an air line, or you listen under load on a rolling road with a hose in your lug `ole..

The number of cars I get in where someone says they have checked all the hoses beween the turbo and the throttle body and they are perfect. An hour later I have a split hose in my hand, or a clip has slipped or been badly fitted. REMOVE all the hoses and check them inside and out, and under tension and compression. It may be something else but I'd bet you haven't removed them all. It's the only proper way unless you make the kit to pressurise the system with an air line, or you listen under load on a rolling road with a hose in your lug `ole..

I have pressurised the system before when checking if it was one of my VSV that were buggered or if it was the turbo that was cooked...turned out it was the 2nd turbo.

Is this the same way i'd pressurise then system...by simplyng any hose and using an air line...or is there another way?

No, no, that won't work, you need to make a bung for the throttle body hose, and a bung with a Schraeder valve fitting for the hose off the turbos and pressurise the I/C and all other hoses to and from it at about 1.3 bar.

Will any garage be able to do this or could you perhaps recommend one in Scotland if you know one.

Also whats a Schraeder valve?

They'd have to turn up some bungs from plastic or metal, and drill and tap one for the Schrader valve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve

I misspelt Schrader by adding an extra "e", sorry.

I'm going to strip all hoses off again and check them....there MUST be one i've missed. Would I be right in saying even the tinyest of holes cause cause the loss of boost? Also could this cause the high pitched noise i'm hearing when boost comes online?