The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra BPU power?

Sukhy

Hi guys,

I currently drive an S14a with 350+hp which is pretty quick and was wondering how this compares to a BPU Supra.

The reason I am asking is because sometime soon I will be buying a Supra (after selling my car) and im contemplating whether to take it to full BPU first or go to straight single.

Ultimately I will be aiming for around 600 - 650hp street usuable power and think that the T67 will be good for this but want to get a feel of the car first.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

A BPU Supra will be around 375bhp @ the flywheel at 1.2bar, maybe more depending on mods.

I'd recommend going BPU first (it's not expensive), then doing the TTC mod to get used to the power band of a single. Then, when you think you're ready, go single and be prepared for a whole new level of fast.

...it will cost you though.

I would just get a fully built single from Jurgen and forget BPU if your goal is 600BHP why mess about, you have a high BHP RWD car now, a BPU Supra will be no quicker

Exactly that. Buy a completed one as doing it in stages is very expensive. I've gone the "upgrade" route and wish i'd gone the other way (although it's been fun). Good luck.

To be fair it depends on how accurate your 350+ bhp statement is.

However, you will virtually have to do the BPU mods to go single. Just go single, but keep in mind that you will be going single. For example, make sure you get a 3" double de-cat and decent free flowing exhaust etc etc.

i throught someone posted before, said he done the BPU and reach to 450 BHP?!

450 is the absolute MAX on hybrids. A dyno can get you any figure you wish.

BPU with stock turbo's may just clinch 430bhp (it has been said) but it will take a stand alone ecu and TTC mode to get there.

Its all pub talk though, the arse dyno is the best way to tell. Torque means far more to accelerating than BHP does. BHP is a pointless calculated figure that is fudged from the torque at the wheels.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I have already been in touch with Jurgen about a 97/98 TT 6 speed once ive sold my car as I ideally want to get a standard low mileage one first and then mod it myself as ive done with the sx.

I just feel that one that has a single on it already may have been through alot. Oh and in terms of the 350+ figure, Ive out paced a an F355 and Evo MR FQ340's etc but lets not get into that here please thanks. :)

Edited by Sukhy (see edit history)

Many pepole say many things on here.

That's my throughts on the matter, anyway.

LOL! diplomacy is becoming more common place on here, are we going PC:p

Anyway, having been in your position myself, i can give you a more educated answer, a genuine 350BHP S14 will be quicker than a std Supra, and also quicker than a BPU Supra up to about 80-90MPH, due to the weight difference, Supras are lardy beasts, but once moving they are rapid.

My advice would be to look for an already modded single or you will just keep throwing money at it until you're satisfied, if thats possible, i could still ask for more and I'm single;)

If I do go BPU first, I will be buying top of the range parts as I will have the scope to go for more power.

Im in no rush to buy at the moment as the exchange rate isnt too good but could be persuaded otherwise if a really nice example turns up. :p

Now whats playing on my mind is to buy stock and then mod, or to buy single and comromise unknown reliability.

If I do go BPU first, I will be buying top of the range parts as I will have the scope to go for more power

Thats what i have been doing, its working out more expensive but hopefully i'll have a decent setup at the end of it:)

Plenty of good advice on here tho if you buy a single

If I do go BPU first, I will be buying top of the range parts as I will have the scope to go for more power.

Im in no rush to buy at the moment as the exchange rate isnt too good but could be persuaded otherwise if a really nice example turns up. :p

Now whats playing on my mind is to buy stock and then mod, or to buy single and comromise unknown reliability.

If you think already of single, then forget the BPU.

But in case you wanna go BPU first, be careful to fit the right parts (which may be exagerated for BPU in a first step) so you don't have to do it twice (ie FMIC, clutch, boost controller).

Go with BPU first. It is very reliable and inexpensive mod.

If you so single it will cost a lot and you will lose reliability and worst of all, if you can't work on the car yourself you are left in the hands of others if something happens.