The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Japfest - what happens if you hit the brakes round a bend

cheekymonkey

I think you did, which is perfectly OK, *IF* you are quick and smooth enough to match the revs perfectly to the road speed, and the cars' rear tyres aren't on the ragged limit of adhesion. When you let the clutch up I think you can hear the rev mismatch being taken up, which put extra torque through back tyres already on their traction circle limit. Try and get all the gear changes done in a straight line until you are confident you can multi task in a corner under stress ;) This why autos are a PITA on track, they will change UP if you panic and lift a bit mid corner, so are best driven in manual mode. This is even more appropriate in the wet....

I so want to do a trackday now, once I get a set of stock 17's and a bit of suspension work done hopefully I'll get a go on a trackday before the end of the summer. I hate thrashing it on the road for fear of slipping up or getting caught out, trackdays look like a lot of fun though. How hard are they on your tyres and brakes?

How hard are they on your tyres and brakes?

It will be hard on both, but for your first time out you should be ok with what you have if you keep the number of laps you do at a time low.

Road tyres will overheat after a few laps (which you should feel) and then you will ruin/wear the tread significantly if you carry on.

Likewise the brakes have more chance of fading the more laps you do. The more agressive/better/quicker you get and the longer you stay out for the more you need to think of track specific tyres/brakes/suspension.

That's pretty much the accident I had in my last Supe, except it was diesel on the road as I was accelerating out of a corner - caught the first slide, but the second one ended up in the barrier :(

I've been thinking about some sort of track day/high performance training/something to get a bit of practise at that sort of stuff - could do with upping my confidence a bit too; last year's crash coupled with a bad head-on a couple of years ago has made me a bit nervous lately O_o

The 1st part of the slide wasn`t too bad but it looks like you over corrected the slide and didn`t get the lock off quick enough which is why it flicked you the other way, very easy mistake btw which ive done dozens of times:), i did a drift day at santa pod last year and found that useful with judging how much lock to get on and getting a feel for the back end, not sure i`d do another 1 though.

unlucky mate! ive done the same countless times so i took a proper course in car control... sorta fixed the problem but sayin that havnt done it for a while so i probly suck again!

i was tought to get all your work done before the corner so your not correcting yourself through the corner which causes that! it comes with practice :)

How about somebody organising a beginners track day i would be up for it as would like a go on a track without getting in the way of the pros

We have hired the drift circuit for Suprapod, it will be a good chance to get some practice on how you car performs under a slide in a safe environment. We are hoping to have some tuition available on the day too.

We have hired the drift circuit for Suprapod, it will be a good chance to get some practice on how you car performs under a slide in a safe environment. We are hoping to have some tuition available on the day too.

I'm going to Supra Pod but wasn't going to sign up for the drifting, as I don't want to eat tyres. I never thought of using it for practise in that way though, could be a good plan!