The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coloured front bumper sill - such a difference!

DaveR

Hi all. I finally got around to doing what I've been meaning to do for months and sprayed my lower front bumper sill/fixed aero-lip to match the rest of the car.

I never really liked the way the stock front end looked with the bare plastic at the bottom - it made the front of the car look higher than the remainder and the lines just didn't seem to flow as well as they might.

Anyway, after a quick trip to my local Halfords to buy all the necessary bits & bobs and three days of weather that could actually be classed as near enough ideal for spray painting, here are the results, presented in a "before and after" style.

I'm actually a lot more fond of the stock front now, too, which is a good thing for many reasons, not least of which being the intact-ness of my finances...!

All in time for JapFest, too, which I'm well chuffed with!

Comments welcome...

Front B&A 01.JPG

Front B&A 02.JPG

Blimey, it must have taken you years to complete.

Several huge trees have grown in the background in the time it took you to spray the front lip :D

Ha ha! Not quite... The car is about 10 metres further to the right in the newer shots than the older ones! Good observation, though...!

Did you use plastic primer first or go straight on with normal primer then colour??

How many cans of silver did you use??

Looks good BTW, makes a big difference.

I went straight on with normal (Halfords-brand) primer for two coats, applied another two coats of silver (one can of each does nicely) after 24hrs and then three coats of clear lacquer after another 24hrs. It seems to be flexible enough for the rubber and survived a car wash jet hose thing the next day so hopefully it should all last well.

Excellent job, but is that number plate legal?

As far as I know... Which bit do you think is dubious?

Do you want a do-luck...? :)

Very much! BUT... I can't afford the £1200+ that a genuine one costs even before anyone's thrown some paint at it, I've had recent bad experiences with a copy so won't go there again and I have a feeling that I'd trash the lower lip every time I tried to drive more than 30 yards in London.

Why do you ask?

Very much! BUT... I can't afford the £1200+ that a genuine one costs even before anyone's thrown some paint at it, I've had recent bad experiences with a copy so won't go there again and I have a feeling that I'd trash the lower lip every time I tried to drive more than 30 yards in London.

Why do you ask?

dont do it!! leave it original, your car looks awsome the way it is, sometimes i wish i left mine standerd

dont do it!! leave it original, your car looks awsome the way it is, sometimes i wish i left mine standerd

Mate that's one lovely looking Supra! Please don't go anywhere near it with aftermaket bodykits it looks absolutly stunning the way it is.

Wow, thanks! The combination of a Do-Luck front and a Trial rear IS hard to beat, though...

Do we really want to know about your private side? haha:p

Probably not, no!

Very nice, what are them blob things on the bumper above the indicator?

I think they're bump stops, to protect the bumper in the event of a minor collision. The previous owner put them on. My view on this is, why not just not crash your car...?! I've had a look at removing them but I think to do so would probably take a large chunk of paint with each, meaning a respray.