The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Future Supra TT owner?

Attero

Hi There.

I am coming up to 19 next month (June) and get my 2yrs NCB in october. Which gives me time to save up quite a bit of money for a nice car!

I've told all my mates that I'll probably be getting an MR2 MKII Turbo, but having a good look at the Supra and spending hours on reading up specifications, watching videos and understanding how it handles (which is probably a lot better than the MR2!), I am interested in getting a Supra TT instead.

I will not tell my mates about it as I can leave it as a surprise seeing as they all love the car and it's extremely rare around my area.

Just for the record, as you are all going to look at me and say, "pfft... just another kid dreaming on.";

I am a very sensible driver.

I constantly learn about everything and certainly from mistakes.

Driving is a passion, but thrashing around to the point the car will spin out and/or crash into something is NOT!

I know that the Supra will cost me a lot more than an MR2 (to buy - I got an insurance quote cheaper), especially seeing as I will want a Manual TT but I have myself a very progressing career which will help me to afford such car within months.

So hopefully, I'll see you all around soon! :cool:

Edited by Attero (see edit history)

I am a very sensible driver.

I am a very good driver.

Driving is a passion, but thrashing around to the point the car will spin out and/or crash into something is NOT!

I know that the Supra will cost me a lot more than an MR2 (to buy - I got an insurance quote cheaper), especially seeing as I will want a Manual TT but I have myself a very progressing career which will help me to afford such car within months.

So hopefully, I'll see you all around soon! :cool:

Welcome on board, however be careful calling yourself a 'very good driver'... I've been driving now for almost 15 years including giving instruction on advanced driving techniques and I would not consider myself a very good driver, I'm always learning :)

I just got rid of my mr2 yesterday actually, and comparing mr2 to supra is not as straight forward I don't think. The supra is a lovely motorway/a road vehicle but not a patch on an mr2 for b-road bombing about. Long distance I'd drive the supra, short little village runs mr2.

I would buy the MR2, run that for a few years whilst getting used to the way the RWD car handles. Because the engine is in the middle it means the rear end is harder to catch, so you learn very quickly how to drive RWD correctly. That will set you up for a great entry into the world of Supras. A Supra is a beast, make no mistake about it. For the record, this is exactly what I did. MR2 turbo when I was 19, kept for 18 months and now I'm on my second Supra. I loved my MR2 and wouldn't have changed it for anything at the time.

Also, in my experience, anyone who says they are a good driver generally isn't.

Welcome on board, however be careful calling yourself a 'very good driver'... I've been driving now for almost 15 years including giving instruction on advanced driving techniques and I would not consider myself a very good driver, I'm always learning

You have a point. :)

I just got rid of my mr2 yesterday actually, and comparing mr2 to supra is not as straight forward I don't think. The supra is a lovely motorway/a road vehicle but not a patch on an mr2 for b-road bombing about. Long distance I'd drive the supra, short little village runs mr2.

So what is wrong with the Supra on village runs then? I know the MPG is a bitch for money, but is there anything else?

You have a point. :)

So what is wrong with the Supra on village runs then? I know the MPG is a bitch for money, but is there anything else?

It is a big heavy vehicle very stable on the road, but not as nimble.. Trying to think of the words really... the supra you really need to think about direction of travel and quick changes to that aren't as easy as they are in the go-karty mr2. Don't get me wrong they are both capable, but chucking a supra round hard twisties on b-roads is hard work.

That's alright then, I spend most of my time on the motorway. I live on an island with no motorways, but I work on the mainland which requires to drive on the motorway and then I tend to spend weekends or whatever driving around larger roads throughout the south.

I don't intend on driving fast at all on the island (although there are one or two very large long straight roads on the less populated side which are always a bit of fun). Driving fast on the island belongs to the townies in their devil-bodied 306's and Saxo's.

I would use the car for the looks on the island, and then the speed/power and looks on the motorways/mainland roads.

Kind of works out really I think, what do you think?

If you think I'm getting the wrong idea, then just let me know. It's better I know anything now than after I get the car obviously! :)

Ive just moved from an MR2 to a Supra, and indeed they are very different cars. I wouldnt advise going straight to a Supra though. What do you drive at the moment?

I've had bikes for a few years, currently an SV1000 & T plate Blade, so I'm quite used to driving / riding things with power, BUT the Supra WILL bite your arse off though!

You cant really afford to make mistakes in a Supra mate....

Perhaps a Supra N/A would be better suited for me at this moment. And I could save up for the TT. By then I would be 20/21.

Besides, it's not my final descision and I have a long way yet before I decide which car to get.

You cant really afford to make mistakes in a Supra mate....

Too right. I don't intend to make mistakes, and I certainly intend to prevent future mistakes. A Supra is certainly something I don't want to end up taking photos off because it's lodged tightly around a tree.

I would go for an N/A. Theyre still plenty quick enough, I've had 145 *ahem* out of mine.

Insurance will be a killer, I'm paying 2k tpft with mods. Thats with 2 years NC, im 19, 20 next month,

Ben

I don't intend on modifying the Supra or any car (at least not until my insurance is below £800!). I manage my money very well. :)

A Twin Turbo will set me back about £1400 on fully comp (£350 excess which is fine for me). So a N/A shouldn't be too difficult to pay insurance for, as long as it's standard.

Where are you getting them prices from? I've called around for months and had nothing that cheap. Bare in mind a UK TT is much cheaper to insure than an imported N/A.