The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Radiator Grr ness

AlexJames

Ok.. its not been long since the new radiator has been in... and its been on the road for about a week.

Driving to work this morning the temp needed started jumping all over the place... much like it does when there's an air lock... so assumed I still had one in...

Any way, it didn't over heat but had i of kept driving it would of done.

When it cooled I opened up the radiator and saw there wasn't much water in it and it seemed to be leaking from the bottom somewhere... (not near the bottom hose, other side) ... so I filled her back up... noticed it was still leaking loads... so filled her up, put the cap back on (cause im at work and ment to be working :sly:)

I went out 15 mins later to check on the leak... nothing... so I opened the cap to see if there is a good water level in it... as soon as the cap came off.. starts leaking again from the bottom...

:search:

Logically this indicates that there is a hole in the rad that is too small to allow the simultenous transfer of air in AND water out; by opening the top, you're allowing the air in [to the top] and thus, the water out.

New rad time I'm afraid! Was that a NEW rad?

humm... cant remember which rad it was, but I can find out.. it was pretty much a direct replacement of the origional...

Dont think I have time for a pressure test.. so just praying its a loose seal or dranege...

I'm willing to bet there will be an open tap on the bottom of your rad. Mine has a drainage tap right where you say yours is leaking from.

good point.. will do that.... saying it was a bad seal... would gasket gel be enough to seal it? failing that... blue tac maybe? :sly:

I've used Plumber's Mait (sic) on a thermostat housing once (not on the supra!), in one of those "it's late on a Sunday, no parts places will be open and I need to get it working again" type of moments. It held (ish), but not terribly well!

humm... cant remember which rad it was, but I can find out.. it was pretty much a direct replacement of the origional...

Dont think I have time for a pressure test.. so just praying its a loose seal or dranege...

If its a direct replacement it should have a drain tap on the bottom right, also a sensor for the secondary fan.

If its a direct replacement it should have a drain tap on the bottom right, also a sensor for the secondary fan.

Yes, that rings many bells! I remember the sensor being there and me needing to undo it for something but I think even armagheddon would have trouble getting that off!

I've used Plumber's Mait (sic) on a thermostat housing once (not on the supra!), in one of those "it's late on a Sunday, no parts places will be open and I need to get it working again" type of moments. It held (ish), but not terribly well!

Ta, Ill try both...

I'm willing to bet there will be an open tap on the bottom of your rad. Mine has a drainage tap right where you say yours is leaking from.

I do seem to remember a drainage tap being there... so I could just bung it up with gasketgel if it wont stop... or tighten it up.. just seems odd that it's randomly come loose...

Ta, Ill try both...

Nooo! Not unless you're really desperate anyway. Plumber's Mait isn't designed for fixing those kinds of leaks. My post was to try and put you off using Plumber's Mait. :)

You *could* use radseal if you're desperate, but I really really would avoid it if at all possible. It just seems to cause other problems as it bungs up your system.

Updates : had to take the whole freakin rad out in the rain.. that wasnt fun I tell you... turns out there some kinda hair line fracture in the bottom of the rad near its sump... filled it with gasket gel and have used RadWeld on it... seems to hold very well. it should easily get me to Jap Fest and back at least! :) .... so as a temp fix its working ;)

Do you mean you have tried to cover the crack with silicone from the outside? if so i would go and get yourself some leak fix, similar to chemical metal, and clean it up and apply that as silicone will never stand up to the pressure once hot.

You might get away with the rad weld, not being critical just trying to ensure you get to Japfest and back without damage:)

Thanks mate... yeah silicone on the outside and pushed into the seal, then radweld for the inner.... was holding well when the waters hot, just doing the pre flight checks this morning before leaving for japfest to make sure.... lo and behold... shes lost more than half water.... probs the radweld not working as the waters not hot...

Anyway, new Rad, or new car when I blow the head g's on the way to japfest..... sooo I aint going... gutted!