The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sump off due to oil pump replacement pics

little num

hi all as some of you knew i recently changed my front crank seal due to it going, since redoing it seems to still be leaking a small amount of oil, and as reading about this problem seems that the seal is not the problem but the pump being worn so me and my brother have decided to get the sump off to inspect the problem.

I have since ordered a new pump and other related parts needed.

Here is the pics i have so far with the sump off and painted ready for refit.

We have decided to do a HOW TO on changing the pump as its a nasty job, subframe needs to come out from under the car to gain access to the bottom of the engine.

As you can see in pic 2 i have had another sump plug welded in as the original plug is higher then the lowest level so there is always about a pint of dirty oil left in the sump, the other boss is for my oil temp sender as i used to have a sump plug adaptor but found it a pain as the adaptor is only brass they snap off very easy.

car crash 218.jpg

car crash 217.jpg

car crash 216.jpg

car crash 219.jpg

Edited by little num (see edit history)

Good job mate:) be interested to see just whats involved as i got lazy and got a trusted jap garage to do mine, but i still got to inspect the crank for play while the sump was off;)

I welded a boss in pretty much the same place for my thermocouple, however I'm not convinced that the oil that would be left should the sensor break will make much difference, but it makes us feel better;)

Make sure you get some good pics of the dissembled pump up so we can see if it has any appreciable wear, and i would lay money on that;)

yes mine has the same simular marks so its deffinatly the pump, as i was removing the timing belt pully i noticed the seal had been pushed out for the second time but was rubbing the timing pully, seems a good job ive decided to change this, nightmare of a job thought lol, will put the HOW TO once ive done a good write up and took lots of great pics.

Here is a pic of the crank, and the seal just coming out as i removed the cam pully.

As i said it doesn't need much scoring/wear for it to leak big time, it seems that they sometimes just pop the spring off as the seal lips are pushed outwards by the pressure build up, or move as well, a lot of the stateside guys seem to be convinced that its all down to crankcase pressure, but i totally disagree, some have seen the light though;)

Get some pics of the damage to your pump up for comparison.

I am impressed by your attention to cleanliness, which is the pitfall of an in situ pump change. Just don't use too much sealant when fitting the sump upper casting and pan, as that stuff will get in the pick up strainer with disastrous results if applied too heavily. Good luck with it, you can see why it's not a job I was keen to do in situ now, can't you? :)

I am impressed by your attention to cleanliness, which is the pitfall of an in situ pump change. Just don't use too much sealant when fitting the sump upper casting and pan, as that stuff will get in the pick up strainer with disastrous results if applied too heavily. Good luck with it, you can see why it's not a job I was keen to do in situ now, can't you? :)

yes its a very nasty job, hardest part was getting the a/c pump off :) but found all the bolts in the end.

Id rather drop the subframe then take the engine out.

Its like any job done for the first time, learning what needs to come off and in its better order, after doing it i can see easier ways to get to things and what order to do them, like i left to oil in until the very end and forgot to remove the steering coupling then wondered why the subframe wouldent come down anymore lol.

ok cars all back together and seems to have done the trick, now i realise i said i was going to do a HOW TO but since doing the job and realising how bad it is i have decided against it, reason why is unless your a experianced or compitant machanic then this jub is to big for the novice D.I.Yer. Beleave me ive changed engine's - gearbox's in granada and sierra cosworth and nothing is like this. You have to take lots of things off to get to somthing else (oil pump) so i would advice paying some1 to do it, i would be willing to help for a fee, and now ive dont this i could make it easier by doing things in the right order.

ok cars all back together and seems to have done the trick, now i realise i said i was going to do a HOW TO but since doing the job and realising how bad it is i have decided against it, reason why is unless your a experianced or compitant machanic then this jub is to big for the novice D.I.Yer. Beleave me ive changed engine's - gearbox's in granada and sierra cosworth and nothing is like this. You have to take lots of things off to get to somthing else (oil pump) so i would advice paying some1 to do it, i would be willing to help for a fee, and now ive dont this i could make it easier by doing things in the right order.

:thumbs: Great work James, I know where to come if I have a problem with mine :)