The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Licence Plates

Guest willismaximus

Guest willismaximus

Hi guys,

As one of the fail points for my MOT yesterday was the plates, i'm trying to find somewhere on-line to order them from, does anyone have any companies they'd reccomend? It's just I don't like using companies I don't know unless I know someone has dealt with them before without any issues.

Could do with somewhere that can do next day delivery etc...

cheers guys

Is there a reason why it has to be an online supplier? Your local motor factors or Halfords will do them for you while you wait mate, should only take five minutes. You'll need your registration documents with you too.

Guest willismaximus

Phoned Halfords and they said they only kept a stock of the Standard oblong ones and would need a few days to order in the Square ones so I thought i'd try and find someone who can do them a bit quicker and quite a few of the on-line places seem to claim fast delivery etc but my concern is that they all seem to claim to be the munber one online supplier which mean either they're all lying or all the same company.... either way it makes me doubt their integrity lol

Guest willismaximus
If your car is Jap-spec, it'll need a different size plate from a standard UK "square" one. Be sure to measure first and order correctly - I got caught out in the past!

Cheers fella, don't suppose you can remember off hand what size yours is?

I measured it up a while back because the front plate's cracked anyway and I wanted to replace it at somepoint and I think the width was about 33.5cm and heightwise around 19cm but i'm not 100% sure

don't suppose you can remember off hand what size yours is?

I don't have that good a memory...!

Fortunately, I'm obsessive with keeping receipts (who isn't...?), so a quick look reveals that the size needed for a Jap-spec rear plate is 13" x 7" (or 33cm x 18cm, if you prefer metric).

Guest willismaximus

I've ended up ordering some which are 330mm*203mm or for those who frown at metric 13"*8" ish, reason being apparently the next height down i.e. 7" or 178mm wasn't quite big enough to accomodate the minimum legal height requirements for the characters and spacing which is...

Minimum character height - 79mm

Minimum space between characters when two-tiered - 11mm

Minimum space between characters and plate edge - 11mm for both the top and bottom

Meaning a minimum overall height of 191mm and I couldn't find a plate that size so 203mm it is.