The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hi, anyone stay in or near glasgow? help needed

Guest blackspider82

Guest blackspider82

Hi,

Been scooting about the forum for a while now and have spotted the car for me ( well I think so) was just wondering if anyone in or around glasgow that has a background in supras could do me a huge favour.

I am pretty much mechanically useless and have spotted a cracking supra for sale within budget etc but dont have any confidence in what too really look for as its an n/a man.they are big cars and i dont want to buy a dog,

shot in the dark i know but hey u dont ask u dont get, lol

thanks

Blackspyder:)

Theres a few people on here from around Glasgow mate. Where abouts are you?

Whilst being no expert by a long chalk, after owning an NA for 5 years, and going through all sorts of the usual problems along the way I could probably give you a bit of help - but there's probably a lot more people around who may be able to help you more.

Theres a very good "what to look for when buting a Supra" guide on here. Most of the points are pretty self explanatory.

I could certainly help with showing you some things to look at, and help you out with what to expect on a test drive, and how things operate and should fit. Could help with checking the oils etc as well as they might not be familiar to you. However things like recognising smoke that indicates valve stem problems are on the edge of my knowledge.

Not too hot at the actual fixing of much stuff, but can usually identify a few common faults.

Billy

Guest supraless
Altho thats his first post so maybe a pinch of salt is needed

Its good to be sceptical I suppose, lol. Im legit. Lets see if I can upload Exhibit A... Should show strathclydes finest stuck to my door.

Crash1.jpg

Guest supraless

Good that worked, heres Exhibit B... Like I said before, these side impact bars saved my butt. Now in return for posting pics, will someone tell me where my baby is lol. I never got to say goodbye as i got hit xmas eve and when the recovery place reopened after the hols it was gone :(

Crash2.jpg

Guest supraless

To rub further salt into the wounds, I had to get the train to work for a bit and who did I see at glasgow central station one moring... the cop driver. Then a few weeks later sitting outside queen St station.... the rebuilt cop car, I seriously wanted to put a dent in it but thot better of it!

Guest blackspider82

dam yeah it is that one, seen it in dumbarton guy used to clean it every day sure it had some sort of trick suspension on it as well,

oh well thanks everyone.

supraless go on ebay and have a look put in postcode g83 0dg search by distance and its first one there,was £3499 but down to £2999 now

such a shame,

oh well im still looking for a nice example for around £3000 in scotland

Guest supraless

Blackspider, glad i could steer you away from buying a bum car, yeah the car had lowered suspension, i dont know what type, it was a japanese make as far as i remember. A TRD Supra parked up beside me once and I remember my wing mirrors were an inch or so below his, absolutely solid too, you felt every bump!

That white one above looks very smart, you would defo turn heads in it, plus its NA so cheaper insurance, I would go for it. Trust me, life changes, its not always that you can have a big 3litre sports car to cruise around in, go for it!

Guest supraless

I tried a search on ebay as mentioned but to no avail, looks like someone may have bought it. I only hope they paid a fair price for it, I have my doubts as to how straight it will drive and how well it will take another hit, but im no expert, I just crash them. (till my dying breath i still maintain the crash was not my fault tho!)

Guest supraless
I'll get my coat :p

PS ever in Aberdoom im due you a pint lol

Ill hold you to that mate lol, you made a fair point, one I may have agreed had it not been me.

Guest supraless

Mate that was no rat he smelt, its was two pigs - right through the drivers door [GRIN][/GRIN]

YIW according to 1st choice motors: "A NICE CLEAN EXAMPLE,A REAL CREDIT TO PREVIOUS OWNER, £3,495"

If by "clean" they mean the last guys hoover or carwashing skills were good then im willing to concede it's a CLEAN example. The observant amongst you may have noticed its sitting on new rims since I had it. That backbox cost me a few quid, its was built by C&C Exhausts in Hillington, if the cars ever broken for spares, get in quick for that its got a sweet rip!

Guest supraless

For the record Im not meaning to insult any previous owner, im no expert and could probably be fooled into buying a write off myself.

see this is the power of the club, we all look out for one another :D i would point the seller to this thread and offer him £1500 for a quick sale to get rid of it, show him the pictures ;) its hard to shift a car like that when the whole community knows about the history and its so documented !!!!

Guest supraless

yeah its pretty bizarre, i came across some old insurance docs the other day and thot id google my old reg no, and the only exact match was the original thread on this site about it (YIW4754 for sale) , which was only a few days old, had i searched a week earlier I would have found nothing and not be talking to you guys now! I used to come here and mkiv.com many years ago but it was nothing like as busy in the forums as it is now.

So does any one know anything else about the white one? fact that its had 2 owners in space of 2 months does kind of set alarm bells ringing???

Yeah, looks dodgy that one, I'd stay well away from it :p

See to the left

Mate that was no rat he smelt, its was two pigs - right through the drivers door [GRIN][/GRIN]

YIW according to 1st choice motors: "A NICE CLEAN EXAMPLE,A REAL CREDIT TO PREVIOUS OWNER, £3,495"

If by "clean" they mean the last guys hoover or carwashing skills were good then im willing to concede it's a CLEAN example. The observant amongst you may have noticed its sitting on new rims since I had it. That backbox cost me a few quid, its was built by C&C Exhausts in Hillington, if the cars ever broken for spares, get in quick for that its got a sweet rip!

They rims were my old rims i sold them to my mate, he polished the life out of that car and was gutted when he discovered the bad bits, just glad a fellow member didnt end up 'holding the baby'

WoW ... i was pretty gob-smacked to see them pic's :taped:

i thought it had had a bit of a prang but didn't think it was as sore looking as it is in your picture's :blink:

I'm Ian .. Liam's mate. i owned the Supra for a few month's drove "spot on" but the more i was working on it & cleaning it the more i was finding repair work, i knew absolutly nothing of it's history when i got it (swaped my old Galant VR4 for it) .. gotta say though i realy enjoyed driving it, it didn't show any sign's of being badly damaged out on the road. i only parted with it mainly down to needing a family sized car for a few month's or so or i would probably have had the driver's side repainted, but now ive seen the pic's and read what "Supraless" has to say about the car's miss-fortune i'm a little more at ease i let it go .

when i owned it: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3152469

ive had quite a few jap-performance car's but so far another Supra is at the top of my "i'll have one of them again" list .. hopefully fairly soon.

i did hear the Supra got sold on just last saturday.