The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do i need to map my Supra?

ClaireRZ-S

It's because standard fuel in Jap land is a higer octane level that over here and the J-specs are designed to run on the higher oct levels.

Best equivelent over here is shell optimax 98 ron or the tesco stuff which is over 100 ron.

To re-map a car you need an aftemarket ECU or Piggy back. Not really worth it, just by the better fuel

It's because standard fuel in Jap land is a higer octane level that over here and the J-specs are designed to run on the higher oct levels.

Best equivelent over here is shell optimax 98 ron or the tesco stuff which is over 100 ron.

so does that mean i dont need to get it remapped :D

The only fuel you can really get in ireland is 95ron its everywhere so is that ok???

oh right. Well people have always said it's not best to run J-Spec TT's on 95 fuel. N/A are o.k apparently but not for the turbos.

I'm not sure if it's as simple as a remap?! :search:

The car will run fine, you won't have any problems. However, the higher octane fuel not only gives you more power but gives you better fuel economy aswell. If there's a Maxol near you, use their E85 Unleaded, it's part ethanol so has a slightly higher octane.

Only other option is the octane booster but it's an expensive option.

The only fuel you can really get in ireland is 95ron its everywhere so is that ok???

So its not just northern ireland! I went back home to visit some friends about 6 weeks ago and I couldn't find premium/super unleaded anywhere. I seen one shell station the whole time I was there but couldn't stop as it was on the other side of the carriageway.

Anyway, I ran it for a week on 95 and it was fine, I did notice a difference in power but not a huge amount, just a general lazy feeling here and there when under load.

NB... Shell V-power hasn't got a higher octane rating. Been covered on here a few times but always worth noting.

So its 95 aswell?

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/v_power_pkg/overview/overview.html

Their sales bumpf says its 99, I dont believe the bits about reducing friction and all that but I would have thought they couldn't lie that much.

If your car is a UK TT, 95 is fine, if it is a JDM TT it really needs 98+ RON. If the car had been run on 95 RON, it will probably run fine. If not you can reset the ECU to "learn" the new 95 RON by pulling the main EFI fuses and leave them out for about ten minutes, over the following 50 miles or so the car will adapt.

As it is a TT you would be better off running it on a higher RON fuel if you can get it. If you have to switch RON pull the fuses again.

If the car has the cats out and no restrictor ring, be very lightfooted on 95 RON or you will get detonation.

The car has 2nd cat out but i intend to take out the 1st cat and put 1 bar restrictor ring and up the boost to 1.2. I have had the car dyno'd twice and been told theres no fuelling problems or anything

You really need de cans to listen for det before it becomes an a real issue. Doubt that would have happened at a standard power dyno run

So its 95 aswell?

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/v_power_pkg/overview/overview.html

Their sales bumpf says its 99, I dont believe the bits about reducing friction and all that but I would have thought they couldn't lie that much.

That's Shell UK. Thread is about Ireland. Also Shell is re-branding all it's outlets to Topaz and not ure they carry a V-power equivalent.

erh yeah it is?

Can you link to these many discussions for us?

See above :D Too lazy to find links but had the same wonderings when I 1st got mine.

NB... Shell V-power hasn't got a higher octane rating. Been covered on here a few times but always worth noting.

Compared to what?

As V-Power is 99 RON, like the Tesco stuff. (Although Tesco also do a 97 RON)

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/v_power_pkg/tech_spec/tech_spec.html

Edit: Seen the statement about Ireland. :)