The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT Time

Guest willismaximus

Guest willismaximus

Well, i've put the Supra in for it's MOT this morning and I can honestly say my wallet is quivering at the thought paying out. :(

I'm expecting a call this afternoon to tell me how she's fared and what it's all going to cost me so provided I haven't collapsed through shock i'll let you guys know what needs done and what i'm being charged to get an idea of what you think (Am I being ripped etc....)

Can everyone cross their fingers and toes for me? ;)

I just recently had mine done.. with BPU and the 2nd cat put back in her emissions came out so spot on, the garage said I could possibly try and put it through without any cats.... gonna take it up for a test (on their interest) to see what happens :)

Guest willismaximus
crossed things for you.. good luck.. Did you take it to major garage?

I took it to my local Toyota Dealer because although I don't trust them as far as I can throw them when it comes to pricing etc, I figure they should in theory know what they're doing.......

Although a couple of weeks ago I phoned them regarding needing a diagnostic done and the lad on the phone didn't have a scooby how long it would take as he said with it being an import the diagnostic systems my not link as easily with the car as it would if it was a uk etc etc...... basically he was talking poop and had no idea but i'm hoping he was just some little apprentice with no clue rather than an example of the skill level within the garage :blink:

Guest willismaximus

Well the garage still haven't called so I'm not sure whether everythings fine and it's sailed through hence no need to call (Although they would normally phone to confirm pick-up) or everything has gone horribly wrong and it's taking them all afternoon to put the costs into their special Toyota Dealer calculator which triples the cost before they phone me and ruin an otherwise mediocre day :(

Guest willismaximus

FAIL!!!!

Well, that sucks, it failed on the following points,

Front and back plates have characters laid out in incorrect format (The last garage had no problem with these plates.... or the one before that..... or the one before that..... you get the picture)

Brake and clutch pedal anti-slip provision missing (Yes you guessed it, I need to superglue some rubber to my pedals, but wait, the last garage didn't have a problem..... or the one before..... seeing a pattern yet?)

Offside rear brake hose excessively damaged (This one is fair enough)

Offside front brake binding (Fairly sure i'd notice this while driving but i'm keeping an open mind for now )

While the car was in I decided to pay for a diagnostic to be run as the Fault light kept coming up, they apparently found a faulty wire and fixed it, when I drove the car away however the fault light came back on but this time brought a friend..... :( the amber oil light with the squiggly line underneath it (Is this the oil pressure?) funny how this is now on after they've had hold of my car all day...... safe to say I was unimpressed turned my car round and drove straight back to the dealership to politely tell him he had not found the fault and had in fact succeded in aquiring me an extra light so he had better find out the problem seeing as how not five minutes ago you said all fault codes were gone and everything (Apart from the above of course) was hunky dory....

Guest willismaximus

Checked the oil and it seemed full (Which is a good thing considering I topped it up about a week and a half ago)

The Plates are a cheap fix but an irritation seeing as though they've been on the car since it came over and has never been deemed a cause to fail before, until now apparently.

The pedals I guess I just never questioned whether they needed rubber on or not as it's never came up before so I hadn't realised it was deemed to be a failure point.

God this sucks lol My missus went spare with me, she already thinks i'm mad for keeping the car anyway but this has just given her a whole box full of ammo for future Supra related arguments :(

An MOT failure is bad drills, frankly. The number plate thing is a fair one, because although there are technically a set of clear-cut rules, different garages (and even the police) seem to have different ideas about them. The actual rules are on the DVLA website (here), though.

The rest of the failure points you list (particularly BRAKE problems, of all things...!) are just inexcusable.

I don't mean to rub it in but mine sailed through the mot today:innocent:

All I had to do was quickly get some new plates printed up because my plates werent mot friendly. Apparently a new rule was enforced on April 27th, which makes it near impossible to have anything other that (boring) plates:taped:

I changed them back over as soon as I left :sly:

Hope you manage to get yours sorted in time for the free re test buddy :)

Guest willismaximus

Well, i'm getting them to sort out the brakes etc for me but the plates are the problem as they reckon they don't do Square ones themselves so unless I want an obliong one screwed to my rear bumper, i need to source one today and get it along to them ASAP...... they still haven't figured out the fault light and oil light thing yet as they can't find anything wrong anywhere...... my guess, when they 'Fixed' the damaged wire in the wiring loom, they damaged or soldered it too another wire and it's causing issues of false readings or something...... :search: Course that's just a guess.....

Guest willismaximus
An MOT failure is bad drills, frankly. The number plate thing is a fair one, because although there are technically a set of clear-cut rules, different garages (and even the police) seem to have different ideas about them. The actual rules are on the DVLA website (here), though.

The rest of the failure points you list (particularly BRAKE problems, of all things...!) are just inexcusable.

Well my current excuse is that the car is no longer the daily driver so it's been neglected of late as I have no where to work on it at all in my current address but when I move at the end of the month i'll have a garage to keep it in and a driveway to work on so it will be getting lots of love, affection and.... Drills :blink: lol