The mkiv Supra Owners Club

O2 sensor cleanup on an NA

BillyC

I cleaned up the O2 sensors on my NA yesterday as I fitted a stock new exhaust the day before. The whole process is pretty simple really with the only awkward bit getting access to the bolts to physically remove them.

I took a couple of pictures of how I done it if it’s any help for anyone. Sorry about the quality of some of them but the flash seems to have a life of its own. The only thing required is a socket set, a bit of patience, and an ability to say “Oh for f*cks sake” quite a lot. And a lemon.

The sensors are pretty easy to find as they are monitored directly off the manifold. There are two on the NA (and only one on the TT). Locations are shown below and they’re pretty distinctive so easy to identify. (I don’t know how to add pics in between lines so there all at the bottom). Simply follow the leads back to the connectors.

Getting the sensors out:

Its quite fiddly to get the bolts out. I gave mine a good blast of WD40 beforehand and let it soak in. Then I gave them another blast just for good measure. There’s probably a couple of ways of getting the sensors out but I chose the “not removing anything I don’t have to” method. Its would probably be easier removing the shield, and even accessing the front bolts from below – but as I’ve only got small hands it wasn’t that bad. The only real problem is that on the front ones it’s difficult to move the ratchet more than a click or two at a time which involved a lot of moaning.

The rear bolts came out no problems at all, but as in the pic below the front one gave me a heart attack as I thought I’d sheared it. I’m still not sure if only the nuts were meant to come off or the whole nut and bolt assy together. The rear ones came out all together. I think someone else had said that they had this with one of the bolts as well. Be careful not to drop the gasket type things that may or may not come off when you pull out the sensor.

Once they’re out:

They’re pretty covered in build up really. probably years of a mixture of exhaust type fumes or whatever. I’m not sure if mine had ever been changed in 15 years – but there was a blue tape tagged on one cable which would suggest they may have been out before – so I suppose any “sensing” may have been affected by the build up on them. Anyway after rapping my knuckles a few times the f**kers deserved to be bathed in acid.

So, off they went for their bath.

The morning after the night before:

13 hours later they looked a little different.

Fitting them back on was pretty much the same as taking them off. Bit fiddly but simple with a bit of patience.

I don’t know what effect it will have on the car, but its made me feel a bit better in that I know they’re clean now, and it really is a simple job that nothing can go wrong with really. . After 15 years though it may really be about time to replace them.

Sensor Above First Cat.jpg

Front sensor location.jpg

Rear connector.jpg

Front Connector at Pulley1.jpg

Access to Rear Sensor.jpg

Both sensors out.jpg

Have some of that.jpg

Finished articles.jpg

Edited by BillyC (see edit history)

Oh bugger :(

I bloody searched on this and totally missed that thread. I ended up reading about 10 others and working out what to do from them before getting up the courage to do this.

What a tit!!!!

Mods, delete this pish if ya want, I'm going for a :drag: