The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TRD Bonnet Owners

mplavery

Is there anyone going to Japfest with a TRD bonnet on there Supra ??

I was going to buy one myself but the bodyshop who i am using said to me they will cut the vents out of the original bonnet as it will save me a little money and also will be a better finish then some copy TRD's bonnets..

So i need to get the size and positions of the vents if possible

Thanks for your time people

Is there anyone going to Japfest with a TRD bonnet on there Supra ??

I was going to buy one myself but the bodyshop who i am using said to me they will cut the vents out of the original bonnet as it will save me a little money and also will be a better finish then some copy TRD's bonnets..

So i need to get the size and positions of the vents if possible

Thanks for your time people

I'm pretty sure they fit inbetween the gaps in the re-inforcement underside of the bottom. Take a look.

I'm pretty sure they fit inbetween the gaps in the re-inforcement underside of the bottom. Take a look.

Yea thats what i think, never really had a look at one up close so im hoping someone can help me out at Japfest, if i can measure the size of the vents and the location on the bonnet the bodyshop can crack on cutting my bonnet up lol

Im keeping my eye out for your car matt, looking forward to having a lookie at youe Supra

Yea thats what i think, never really had a look at one up close so im hoping someone can help me out at Japfest, if i can measure the size of the vents and the location on the bonnet the bodyshop can crack on cutting my bonnet up lol

Im keeping my eye out for your car matt, looking forward to having a lookie at youe Supra

Just design it how you want mate, if your body shop are doing some custom cuts then it doesn't matter if it's the same as original. ;)

welcome to have a look at mine if you like mate just pop over will open up bonnet etc show you both sides :D

shame your cars not black haha might be selling it :D

That would be great Spooky

How much you looking for the bonnet? the car is having a respray so colour is not a problem lol

Have PM ya

cheers

Just design it how you want mate, if your body shop are doing some custom cuts then it doesn't matter if it's the same as original. ;)

I have always liked the TRD bonnet but i know what your saying, I might do something different, im hoping i will get some ideas at Japfest :D

Thats exactly what i've got :)

Pretty sure its as Matt said, cutouts of the underside.

Fibreglass doesn't look right IMO, it has to be far too thick for cutouts. The only way to make it look right is to recess the underside, makes it too chunky if you don't.

No they don't. Mine is a stock Supra bonnet with the holes cut from the pattern of a genuine TRD bonnet. The cutouts do cut through some of the under bonnet bracing. However, it doesn't make the bonnet any less rigid than stock.

Personally, I'm happy with it, and prefer my 'cut aluminium' bonnet, over a fibreglass copy anyday. :)

Can somsone with oen post up a good "from above" picture of their bonnet holes?

I'm quite interested in hacking away at my spare bonnet now :innocent:

heres my cut and shut, i also have a spare bonnet which i am going to chop when i have time, next time i do it i would steer clear of the "established" aftermarket bonnets and go for something a bit more original (for a supra anyway), these are a couple of favourites Xanavi 350Z and a JGTC Supra

bomex 005.jpg

bonnet 010.jpg

bonnet 018.jpg

AkinaGhost749.jpg

jgtc-2002-mot-hy-0118.jpg

I have avoided a fibreglass bonnet due to the poor fitment and asked Dave to rework my stock bonnet, very happy with the result and the fitment of course is great

exactly why i never got one, i have yet to see a fibre glass, CF bonnet thats fits as well as stock

Where would be the best place to cut the holes from a performance and cooling point of view?

ahh now then, that is a can of worms :D, without a wind tunnel and some serious testing, its impossible to tell, i'm sure someone will come on and say "you can really see the heat haze rising when its idling" (probably not now :eyebrows:) but at standstill it really doesn't make a jot of difference, hack away my man, to my knowledge no one with a vented bonnet has suffered overheating issues

Always wondered matt how does your front vents work with your fan belt? does it no get wet?

I had the two side ones done.

the front one isnt the problem, it's the one over the ignitor pack that's mean i've got to be extra careful with washing the car and keeping it under cover when it rains