The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT4088R - the truth!!!

Mike B

I just spoke to AET turbos ( I was buying a TPS sensor activated butterfly valve of a 4" exhaust) and asked them about turbos as the guy seemed very knowledgeable.

He knew the turbo very well.

I was told that the DBB cartridges cannot be repaired, but they can and he can do them.

The 4088R failures are (apparently) due to the fact that Garrett use a Diesel grade of steel (cost cutting) on their divided exhaust housings, and when the turbo gets hot the central section (divided part) warps distorting the housing into the blades. They only need to touch for a second to cause meltdown, secondary failure and death!

Other cause is using a divided manifold, single haousing and having a divided gasket melt and go through the blades.

The blades themselves are apparently perfectly fine!

So all you 4088R owners out there, start checking your housings!!!

and if it does die you know where to fix them.

Result!

Interesting, most failures I heard of if not all of them have been GT4088 not GT4088R.

Bhave and SteveL are running GT4088Rs sourced from Garrett and neither have failed to my knowledge, Steves gets hammered on track as does Bhaves who has had it installed for a long time now.

Interesting, most failures I heard of if not all of them have been GT4088 not GT4088R.

Bhave and SteveL are running GT4088Rs sourced from Garrett and neither have failed to my knowledge, Steves gets hammered on track as does Bhaves who has had it installed for a long time now.

Mine is a precision housed Garrett GT4088 (nonR). Blades were mint at last inspection (610bhp/1.6BAR/7200 rev limit).

Have an identical spare unit if anyone needs one :)

Pretty much the same as mentioned here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=185315

and I'm sure its been covered before, i asked Turbo Technics and thats pretty much the answer they gave me, they can also repair the DBB cores.

The GT4088R runs exactly the same exhaust turbine as the non R,

and its the same material as the rest of the Garret range.

I'm glad to say i have the Precision Turbo .81A/R housing, mine has been fine for the last year, apart from a weak seal:)

No DAF here :) There were some around like that (think Ryan had one). The precision ones seem good.

Where did you source your turbo?

I've already gone through 1 GT4088R (precision housing) and the last time the current one was off it was starting to show the initial signs of the blade nibbling.

Shame as I love the turbo,

Where did you source your turbo?

:D

Interesting that yours have failed this way as I thought it was only the cheaper units with DAF covers, hmmmm :search:

EDIT: yours are GT4088Rs arent they?

I just spoke to AET turbos ( I was buying a TPS sensor activated butterfly valve of a 4" exhaust)

Mike, I'm also after one of these, but wasn't aware anyone did them. Did you get one? How much was it (if you don't mind me asking)? Also, how is it controlled? I was hoping to get my solaris to control it so that the car is quiet poodling around but mental if you drop the hammer.

Sorry, repost Mike.... ;)

Bah, humbug... you post sounds a lot more technical too! lol

My 4088R died on the same housing as Jay's, so maybe there are incompatabilities there too, something about them is just not working. My T67 is immaculate.

Have to say though Garrett should at least take notice - it's bad form not to change them or give a warranty.

Have to say though Garrett should at least take notice - it's bad form not to change them or give a warranty.

I almost agree, but if only the core is Garrett and the problem is caused by non-garrett housings I can see why they wont.

Mike, I'm also after one of these, but wasn't aware anyone did them. Did you get one? How much was it (if you don't mind me asking)? Also, how is it controlled? I was hoping to get my solaris to control it so that the car is quiet poodling around but mental if you drop the hammer.

It's the latest version of one of these;

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Butterfly-Effect/A_110902/article.html

They are £750 from the company that took over the idea in Auz, but a very helpful chap called Kevin pointed me to AET turbos who were the only UK company to have any, and they sold me one for £350.

Kevin convinced me that they were very good and fast reacting. The fact that they work on the TPS signal is quite impressive.

He said there was no change in flow when dyno'd on and off.

I'm getting old and my ears are starting to complain at the 80mph hell drone.