The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trackday pads advice

dannyspeed

I'm doing the llandow trackday next month and want to get some decent pads for the day.

I've got Ap's front and UK's rear. My question is is it better to fit new pads front and rear or will race pads on the front be good enough.

Also what pads are ideal for this kind of thing. Fast road/race as I would like to leave them installed for roads use as well.

I've got KAD (same as AP) fronts, with UK rears (ad before anyone jumps on me they are designed to be a balanced total system without trhe need to uprate the rears).

I used to have Porterfield fast road pads ("R4S"??) on it (all round) but fitted the Porterfield race pads ("R4"? something like that!) after advice from Steve L and Paul Whiffin; they are just as good from cold (i.e. immediate bite) but apparently will wear longer than the road pads and if necessary, handle a hotter working temperature.

I've had them on the car for a year and done the 'Ring & Llandow last year and Rockingham earlier this year and can confirm they are very dusty (Rockingham especially showed this as there were 4 'big stops' (130mph+ -> 35mph) per lap), I haven't checked the wear TBH and can't really compare wear or performance to the fast road as they were replaced very soon after I bought the car, but I can check what's left of them this weekend and report back if you like?

Tbh llandow isn`t a fast circuit so fast road pads will be fine considering you`ve got ap`s anyway, what i would say is front and rear pads should be matched ideally otherwise you may get an inbalance and work the fronts harder.

I think you'd be ok with fast road (all round) at Llandow BTW, personally speaking I'd rather hit the track with the same compound all round than start mixing front & rear if it's avoidable.

Lol, what he said at the same time as me:d

Lol, what he said at the same time as me:d

Cool, if we're in agreement then I must be starting to know what I'm on about. ;)

Il change the pads all round then. I was looking at the endless ccx pads as well.

What sort of price should I expect to pay for some decent race/road pads?

Last year the Porterfields I bought from Paul Whiffin were £80 + VAT for the fronts and £86 + VAT for the rears, plus delivery. So about £200; but if he imports them (and I believe they are American made) the exchange rate might have affected significantly that, and for the worse.