The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/S/F Wheel Fault

p111ddy

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advise please.

While drving home on the M1 early afternoon yesterday my n/s/f wheel kindly decided to try & leave the car while i was in the third lane doing motorway speeds. Thankfully it became jammed into my wheel arch.

When I got to the hard shoulder I found all the wheel nuts had come off & one of the bolts had snaped off too. So I had to wait for 6 & a half hours before being towed home after they found someone with an airbag so they could lift up my car & free the wheel.

The question I'm asking is if I fit wheel nuts back on Do you think it will be ok to drive to a garage??

Bloody hell! Firstly, glad you're ok, bet it was pretty scary!!

Something is seriously wrong if your wheel nuts just decided to snap or unscrew themselves. When were they last checked/taken off/torque'd up?

Any odd issues with steering or vibrations recently?

EDIT: sorry, didn't really answer your question did I lol. If it was me, I wouldn't risk it, get it trailored to a garage :)

Are you using non hubscentric spacers on your car

Unfortunately yes, it had a 5mm spacer on & tbh I never knew I had spacers on it. I've never had the wheels off myself as all my work gets done by a garage

Did you not get any indication before hand that it was happening. The wheel wouldn't just jump off. It would have knocked around like a bitch for a few seconds before completely coming off.

The only thing I can recall was a slight noise coming from the wheel which sounded like stone caught in the tread.