The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost Controller - GAIN

AlexJames

Been reading a few articles and I am still not 100% sure on the GAIN on my boost controller.

When I brought the car it was already fitted and was set at maximum... I am assuming this means that the waste gate stays closed for a maximum amount of time?

I read this can also cause over boost? Is over boost, or boost spike still possible when I have a 1.2 restricter ring fitted?

If it DOES, then how do I know where to set the GAIN?

What boost are you getting now??? Turn boost controller OFF and you should get nearish stock boost (i get 0.9bar, with BC off fully decatted with nur spec rx exhaust).

Your gain shouldnt be that high, either the restrictor ring is way to small or you exhuast system is too restrictive. (Failing that i guess turbo condition will come into it). Without knowing what boost your actually getting, its impossible to say.....

My gains on 64 at the moment and thats about 1.1 - 1.2bar (depends on air temp, when cold its 1.2, warmer and its 1.1 which id say is a good safe medium)

1. You can still over boost with 1.2bar restrictor ring (or atleast i could!)

2. Without the right settings on BC, mine was spiking all over the place

You only raise your gain, when you getting

Edited by ShamelessTT (see edit history)

Which b/c are you using, on the blitz its the set feature which raises the boost and the gain feature allows the turbo/s to come in harder, in the manual it says dont go above 25 gain with stock turbo`s as it can break them.

To kind of answer all your questions, you need a boost gauge. There is no hard and fast rule of what settings are best as every car seems different, there are so many variables that contribute to what boost levels your car will output with certain settings. For example, when I picked up my car,in warm weather, set to 60 will boost to 1.3bar with the 1.2 ring in place. First thing I did was lower it so it never goes over 1.2

A boost gauge will tell you what your car is boosting too, once you know this, you'll know where to set the boost controller.

You alter lo and hi boost when you alter gain. So it's not a simple job.

The only guide I can find now says you need to lower gain if you get boost spikes. Until you don't get the spikes and everything stabilises.

I'll keep looking bud.