The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU Loudness

supraspeed

Ok i was just wondering if its possible to go bpu (full decat) but maintain a respectable noise level. its just my now sold N/A is a full decat and some very loud exhaust and its just stupid noise levels. i was wondering if theres a happy medium, as i am soon moving into a quiet area and my next supe can't be really loud even though i want bpu. any ideas advice?

My blitz nurspec with no cats isn't that loud, especially when its warmed up as the idle drops to 600. If you get an exhaust with a baffle that should help if you've got fickle neighbours. Your TT should be quieter than your na anyway as the turbo's act like mufflers and deaden some of the noise.

do you mean BPU on a TT? if so then my decatted TT with superdragger is far far far quieter than my old NA with just a cat-back...:)

I'm with him.

My TT has this straight (and I mean "straight"!) steel pipe from downpipe to the muffler at the back when I bought it.

It's still quieter than my N/A.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but turbo cars are generally quieter as the turbos act as dampers? :rolleyes:

Btw, is it true not having cat/resonator/etc may cause dangerous boost creep? I'm a bit worried

cheers people! my N/A was running a single turbo, then had it taken off, full decat already in place but it was much louder, turbo was used as a muffler in one sense. i'm looking at a few tt's now ive sold my N/A this morning but wanted a bpu setup on next car. i just didn't know if you could have a quieter system whilst running bpu but still keeping the power levels high.

funnily i have the nur spec-r thats supposed to be the loudest, full decat, and my car isnt loud at all compared to other sup's. when you give it the beans it sounds awesome without making you partially deaf.

I have that exhaust too, and it's by far one of the nicest sounding exhausts on a TT. IMO, of course ;)

You could go for one of the systems mentioned, then get an additional silencer cut into the pipe. Burns in the states do silencers that are only 20 -25mm larger in diameter than the pipe they replace. With a 2.5 or 3 inch system you would have plenty of room under the car to accommodate another small silencer. I have several silencers and a 4" system under the car.

A TT with no cats will suffer boost creep, you need a restrictor ring, or you will see 1.5 bar if you are unlucky.

yeah, might be putting a resonator next week just to quieten it a bit even more and to prevent boost creep.

But anyhow, 1.5 bar would be awesome, wouldn't it? :p