The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo Refurb

Marty

So, my t67 has seen better days, the exhaust blades are shot :(

Its a great turbo and i'd really like not to just throw it in the bin. Is there anywhere anyone can think of who does refurb's on these 'bigger' type turbo's? I've found lots of threads about refurbing the standard twins, but nothing on refurb's on the single units.

Thanks in advance :sly:

Nope :( i've on only been running 1.1bar, and it doesn't get a hard time, pretty much motorway driving.

Here's a pic...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/mpryde/DSC00652.jpg

Ouch! That shouldn't have gotten like that! There must be something awry somewhere. I would look into it a little more rather than just bunging a new one on otherwise it'll just end up looking much the same.

Nope :( i've on only been running 1.1bar, and it doesn't get a hard time, pretty much motorway driving.

Here's a pic...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/mpryde/DSC00652.jpg

Looks very similar to the demise of quite a few GT4088s,

blade erosion, usually caused by exhaust housing overheating/distorting.

Whats the origin of the T67, are they originally intended for a diesel engine?

Looks very similar to the demise of quite a few GT4088s,

Whats the origin of the T67, are they originally intended for a diesel engine?

Was thinking exactly the same.

My 4088 did exactly the same, but the t67 blade is much thicker - I use that turbo now..

you sure it's a t67?

overheating... yet the 4088 melted on mine, yet the t67 is fine.

just a shoddy turbo.

I searched but was told no refirb possible on the DBB units.

Ouch! That shouldn't have gotten like that! There must be something awry somewhere. I would look into it a little more rather than just bunging a new one on otherwise it'll just end up looking much the same.

That's what i was thinking, although this turbo wasn't new when i got my paws on it, was originally owned by Suprahuman so i'm not sure what sort of life it had with him.

Looking at the pic and thinking about previous threads... what manifold do you have?

I've got a sound performance manifold.

Marty, who mapped your car? Was DT the last one to touch it?

Yup it is still on the 'running in' map mate, done by Mr turner :run:

Really looks like you've been running excessively high EGT's, most probably from being too lean whilst on boost. For the health of your engine and your next turbo you really need to get it mapped properly!

I'd say before getting any new bits you want to get Ryan to sort the map, when DT left my map it was running well over 1000 deg EGTs,

This is probably the case Jay. I've been in touch with Ryan to sort out a new mapping session for me.

what sort of EGT have you been seeing?

How long has it been on the 'running in' map?

You have seen the previous posts about Dan Turner?

I don't have an egt gauge, its on the list of things i need, although the turbo has had a very easy life since i've had, back and two down the motorway to work, very little WOT, no trackdays etc.

It was mapped june 2007. I'm well aware about Mr Turner, although i wasn't at the time and Michel sorted out all the mapping for me as it was part of the engine build.

Really looks like you've been running excessively high EGT's, most probably from being too lean whilst on boost. For the health of your engine and your next turbo you really need to get it mapped properly!

Ryan is the man to sort it. I always keep my eye on the afr's and they are spot on on boost etc, around 11.4.

To get 570bhp @ 1.1bar you`re either running some crazy ignition advance or mega lean, what turbo is it btw?

Neither, afr's are spot on.

The turbo is a sound performance T67, really good turbo, this is why i really want to get it refurbed. I have a T72 i bought off Mr Sherwood but i'm not too sure about putting it on, may be too laggy.

Or a rather optimistic RR;)

It was done on a dastek dyno, same one Jay, Michel, etc use. Power is about right for the performance the car gives, i don't dispute it.