The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best Suspension for a TT Supra.

Pudsey

Hello everyone looking for advice from members who have experience in after market suspension kits for the TT Supra.

I have a 1998 RZ-S TT VVTI to which I have just added some larger alloy wheels, and to my disappointment I am now going to have to roll the arches.

The suspension has so much travel by the looks of it on the back end when taking a sharpe corner the tyres catch, doesn't help in the fact that my car has had a wing too.

I am more than certain that the arche is slightly inboard when looking in comparison to the other stock side, don't get me wrong its a quality job and to the untrained eye you would never see its been changed, but with bigger alloys on the bad boy it isn't having it.

So here's the million dollar question ha

What suspension is the best for the Supra for fast road use, will plan on laying some major mods in time over the engine, so I am planning on building a good base with careful planned modifications that all work together.

I definately want Coilovers and have been advised to miss Tein and HKS unless I want to wear a gum shield everytime I go out ha.........So far been directed towards Cusco Coilovers.

Look forward to your experienced views on the subject!

Thanks in advance too. :)

on my last tt i had hks spring on stock bilstein (sp?) dampers i liked them alot if a bit to hard,

on this one (n/a) i have tein superstreets, and i like these tooo bit softer and adjustable hight and bound/rebound id definitely buy these again if needed :D

if yours is leaning loads in the corners have a look at the arb's drop links mine could do with being replaced by the looks

i am no expert with the supra so cant comment more lol:)

Whats your budget? If you want to buy one of the best coil overs on the market I'd highly recommend Nitron, better than any Jap stuff, they do a one way adjustable kit for a £1000 + VAT. http://garagewhifbitz.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=2309&product_id=8473&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

I'm about to get my J Spec NA looked at as I think the rear shocks are gone. The ride has always been fairly hard since I got it but now its actually taking away a lot of enjoyment of a normal drive. After 15 years I've no doubt the rest of the suspension could all do with a good going over.

The major problem I have is that I cant afford to splash out cash and get things all done at once. Also I dont really know what the various individual parts do specifically. What the uper/lower arms/bushes/wishbones etc actually have an effect on.

So realistically, I'm going to be going for some new shocks, but would be absolutely gutted if I paid a lot out and found it didnt really improve things an awfu lot. I've thought about geting some 2nd hand stock as well.

I wont ever need track day suspension, and the car is (probably) being done up for my mrs as I think I'm going to get another car. So basically it would be used for commuting and the odd long drive on the motorway. Comfort more than hard drive handling would probably be the highest priority.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice setup for a comfortable ride? I dont know why, but I'd prefer coilovers as they seem a neater all in one solution than getting set seperat springs and dampers. However, they seem to be more for fast performance as opposed to comfort.

It looks like I'll be getting the shocks first as basically its the only starting point I know really.

Would it be better to take it somewhere beforehand and see what they actually recommend? The only place I think I know of up here that I feel confident about is Daltek (I think)

Any advice appreciated, especially if anyone could put me right about gradually swapping out the various components needed to replenish the suspension over a period of time. The only downside I see is that it would be probably just as costly in the long run to get the components and continually keep having to put it into a garage for fitting and aligning.

Apologies if this has sort of taken over the thread - I meant to just ask for suspension recommendations - and got carried away as I thought of things.

on my last tt i had hks spring on stock bilstein (sp?) dampers i liked them alot if a bit to hard,

on this one (n/a) i have tein superstreets, and i like these tooo bit softer and adjustable hight and bound/rebound id definitely buy these again if needed :D

if yours is leaning loads in the corners have a look at the arb's drop links mine could do with being replaced by the looks

i am no expert with the supra so cant comment more lol:)

So you are saying you have coilovers and the car still leans loads?

That can't be right surely?

I was thinking of goingthis route to stop that happening!

Whats your budget? If you want to buy one of the best coil overs on the market I'd highly recommend Nitron, better than any Jap stuff, they do a one way adjustable kit for a £1000 + VAT. http://garagewhifbitz.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=2309&product_id=8473&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

One way adjustable?

Is that a coilover then or?

I liked the Tein SS but the HSD stuff is more adjustable, they have got to be worth a try from reading tdr's thread.

I did look for this thread, but couldn't find it!

Someone did mention it before.......>

HSD's never heard of them

Personally I'd sell the wheels and get some smaller ones.

If you have to roll the arches Im guessing your new wheels are bigger than 18s, at which point many threads on here would suggest handling has been decreased.

The wheels are 18's buddy.

I have solved the rubbing by rolling the arches myself.

Was only catching very slightly, but enough to wreck the tyres pushed to many times if you get my drift.

Just think the suspension requires changing as must be traveling alot in my opinion.

Small wheels would be the cleapest answer for sure, might put my standard 16's back on lol!!

The wheels are 18's buddy.

Aha, had thoughts of you with 20's or something like that. 18's will be fine with a decent suspension setup.

I have 18s with a HKS Hypermax setup, very little roll but its hard as hell (you appreciate how shit the roads are when you feel every little bump and hole).

Hopefully you'll find something with more comfort from the suggestions already posted.

That's a big wedge £1400 quid odd.

Whats so good about these coliovers compared to other on the market.

Are these Stainless Steel threads etc?

Aha, had thoughts of you with 20's or something like that. 18's will be fine with a decent suspension setup.

I have 18s with a HKS Hypermax setup, very little roll but its hard as hell (you appreciate how shit the roads are when you feel every little bump and hole).

Hopefully you'll find something with more comfort from the suggestions already posted.

Ha.........yeah I went sensible with the wheels as to maintain proper handling and some kind of refined ride too.

I find myself dodging every bump in the road at the moment, so sounds like things will get a whole lot worse when I throw some coilovers on there!!

Thanks for the advice, always good to hear other people experiences!

That's a big wedge £1400 quid odd.

Whats so good about these coliovers compared to other on the market.

Are these Stainless Steel threads etc?

Sorry yes, £1426 inc VAT. You pay for what you get in this world, do you see Tein, HDR and all the other cheaper dampers winning race series? Just have a read of the Nitron website http://www.nitron.co.uk/ You asked which is the best and I believe these are for the money.

Sorry yes, £1426 inc VAT. You pay for what you get in this world, do you see Tein, HDR and all the other cheaper dampers winning race series? Just have a read of the Nitron website http://www.nitron.co.uk/ You asked which is the best and I believe these are for the money.

I have looked at the website and it doesn't list a Toyota Supra,obviously we must be able to get them as you would not have suggested it else.

If they are made with stainless steel etc then I can understand the cost implications of that, they do look very nice indeed!!

What particular kit would you suggest then for the Supra, remembering it will be used on the road and some particular streets can be pretty rough too.

Wouldn't want to loose a wheel if you get my drift ha.

What would be the very best price we could do on these, guess it unlikely people would do a group buy on these puppies!

I have had 6 different suspsension setups in the life of my supras, all aftermarket bar one.

There is only one I recoomend.. the chris wilson bilseins and geometry setup.

It was the single best modification I have ever done.

I was so impressed I fitted the same technology shocks to my bm and it's also excellent now.

The shocks can also be rebuilt in the UK.