The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Workshop skimmed my discs to 13mm!!

dani_r

I bought a used set of JSpec rear discs a little while ago and dropped them off to a workshop to have them skimmed. I went to pick them up yesterday and they took almost 3mm off! They measured at something like 13.5mm!

Now I'm stuck with these discs, what do I do? The manual on turbosupras says that the minimum thickness is 15mm, so thats 1.5mm less than they should be!

Can anyone please advise on whether these will be useable? Or are they for the bin?

Cheers

Dan

I would say way to thin, the minimum figure is there for a reason, if you combine worn pads, you could end up with a piston popped out, and no rear brakes

Good point.

Stop me if I'm talking total arse, but if I was to use the discs with almost new pads would they be ok to use for a while?

I currently have 2 sets of almost new rear pads to use up, and the reason I'm changing to stock disks is because I put grooved discs on and didn't put new pads on at the same time, as a result the pads haven't bedded with the disc correctly and made a horrible noise.

I tried a new set of pads and didn't work so I bought these just to use up both sets of pads until I needed new ones. At that time I would then have the grooved discs sorted and new pads to go on.

That was the plan anyway! :(

Why did they take 3mm off? If the disc was so bad to start then it might have been the only min they could take off to smooth it. If they just took a hearty 3mm off and 1.5 say would have done then i think you should complain if you're not happy with being 1.5 below the 15

I would be inclined to hurl them through the crap engineers that skimmed them without asking for a figure to skim them by! or did you have badly warped disc's and said get them straight?

Nah, they just took them off me. There was one score mark that was quite bad on one of the discs, but I told them I didn't want them perfect, just better than they were, just get the lip off etc. I'll try to find the thread I bought them from, it has pics. The discs weren't warped in any way, just a bit scored.

Why did they take 3mm off? If the disc was so bad to start then it might have been the only min they could take off to smooth it. If they just took a hearty 3mm off and 1.5 say would have done then i think you should complain if you're not happy with being 1.5 below the 15

I'm defiantely gunna go back, coz now i'm stuck with discs that are useless!

Err, with respect the discs were scrappers to start with.... :) For the second time this month the old adage "You can't polish a turd" seems appropriate. Personally I would use discs 1.5 under the minimum on a road car, driven sensibly, sol long as they took it evenly off both sides of the disc. If you start to see "shadows" of the internal vanes on the outer pad faces of the disc they are too thin to be safe though. You decide for yourself though!!

Im sorry to say but if you didn't give them any tolerances then its your fault.

Err, with respect the discs were scrappers to start with.... :) For the second time this month the old adage "You can't polish a turd" seems appropriate. Personally I would use discs 1.5 under the minimum on a road car, driven sensibly, sol long as they took it evenly off both sides of the disc. If you start to see "shadows" of the internal vanes on the outer pad faces of the disc they are too thin to be safe though. You decide for yourself though!!

Thanks for your comments guys. I guess this proves the old saying that you definately get what you pay for!

Like everything with me, I always seem to learn the hard way!

Anyone have any JSpec rear discs in good condition they don't need? :D

Pro parts should do blueprint discs for them. I remember ages ago getting some front discs that fitted, I think it was Jake or someone in Portsmouth dealt with the Waterlooville Pro Parts and managed to source a vehicle that had the same size discs. Worth measuring up and going to a knowledgable parts place to get something that works?

why not buy original disc's from toyota.

Im with JustGav think about it, your life must not be worth more then £150 if your going to use $#@!e second hand disc's.

What tyres do you use, part worn with 3 repairs and 1.8m left.

:yeahthat:

Seriously, why bother buying second hand stock discs in the first place. If you dont have the cash to put decent brakes and tires on the car it should stay off the road till you can.

Stock discs from Toyota are priced very fairly considering what the car is capable of.

why not buy original disc's from toyota.

Im with JustGav think about it, your life must not be worth more then £150 if your going to use $#@!e second hand disc's.

What tyres do you use, part worn with 3 repairs and 1.8m left.

:yeahthat:

Seriously, why bother buying second hand stock discs in the first place. If you dont have the cash to put decent brakes and tires on the car it should stay off the road till you can.

Stock discs from Toyota are priced very fairly considering what the car is capable of.

I bought the discs simply as an interim set so I could get my grooved discs off and get them sorted, use up some sets of pads I had, whilst keeping the car on the road as it's a daily driver!

They were never intended to be used permanently, just until the above got resolved!

Unfortunately chaps there is not an endless pot of money that I can dip into at a moments notice, unlike some people on here seem to have! Regrettable, but not the end of the world.

I wasn't aware that buying used discs was frowned upon so much on here, might wanna mention that to all the other people that buy and sell them on a daily basis in the for sale section.

Edited by dani_r (see edit history)

Unfortunately chaps there is not an endless pot of money that I can dip into at a moments notice, unlike some people on here seem to have! Regrettable, but not the end of the world.

That's a bit toys-out-the-pram. It's more like a question of monetary priorities - no-one on here has an endless pot of money, have they now.

Ask yourself if you want to be a danger to yourself and those around you by having brake failure (if the pistons pop out both sides you'll lose both brake circuits, one side will cause problems due to fluid loss anyway). If it's your daily driver it's even more bizarre that you would skimp on making sure the brakes are OK.

Perhaps sell on the dimpled and grooved discs in order to afford new stock ones that actually work, if money is that tight? After all they are only patterened like that to look cool, it's not like they are 'better'.

I wasn't aware that buying used discs was frowned upon so much on here, might wanna mention that to all the other people that buy and sell them on a daily basis in the for sale section.

Well, ones so thin they look like wet paper plates, maybe not but caveat emptor. Used unwarped disks still in spec are OK seeing as, well, most of us have those on our cars at any given moment haven't we...

In fact I've got two used UK spec fronts with slight warpage sat in my garage at the moment, that I'm debating on getting skimmed and saving. I know they are otherwise still in spec because they came off my car and were replaced with new ones... Which meant no phat video card for the PC that month - see what I did there? I prioritised. And even though I know the pedigree of those disks I'm still twitchy about putting them back on the car...

-Ian

I wasn't trying to skimp on anything!

I bought the discs as a temporary measure, the workshop skimmed too much off, after asking if these discs are OK to use it turns out they're not, no big deal, I just need to get some new ones.

The discs I have on the car now are totally fine, it just has that rather annoying noise! :rolleyes:

At no point would I ever put something on my car that I thought would put either myself or anyone else in danger, hence the reason for the original post!

I rely on the knowledge and experience of people on here to help out, and they have, the discs are a no go.

Thank you to everyone who answered my original question :)

Dan

Edited by dani_r (see edit history)

You won't suffer from the pistons popping out... but as the pad wears down it'll drop out of the caliper as there will be enough gap between the caliper and the disc for the backing to squeeze through.

This happened to me in my MR2 when I was sold the pre-facelift discs for my facelift. (The pre-facelift had thinner front discs).

The result was a total loss of braking (until I'd pumped the piston out to the disc!) and the total loss of my MR2 and a brand new Saab.

When it comes to critical components such as the brake systems don't try to save money, even just as temporary measure.

Hi Dan. I don't think its fair to put a picture of the engineer as your avatar. Its not his fault. LOL

:D

You won't suffer from the pistons popping out... but as the pad wears down it'll drop out of the caliper as there will be enough gap between the caliper and the disc for the backing to squeeze through.

This happened to me in my MR2 when I was sold the pre-facelift discs for my facelift. (The pre-facelift had thinner front discs).

The result was a total loss of braking (until I'd pumped the piston out to the disc!) and the total loss of my MR2 and a brand new Saab.

When it comes to critical components such as the brake systems don't try to save money, even just as temporary measure.

Agreed. Looks like my local toyota dealer is gunna love me this month! :D