The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot light (Internal)

Kev_A

Ok, so last night I decided to do the clear indicator lense mod on my '96 J-spec, after completing this I was in the mood to do more, the little light on the inside left side of the boot space has never worked, so decided to see if I could find out why.

After removing the light unit, it came out as one piece but it wasn't plugged in to anything.

I then found a wiring loom that had been seemingly cut and just left, both wires (1 red and 1 green) were left together with the copper wires exposed! :blink:

As I grabbed the loom I must have pushed the wires together and now I've lost the use of my head unit and interior light (front) I'm presuming it's just a fuse, I've done a quick search to find out where it might be and I'm going to look at that now, but can anyone tell me, would these wires be something to do with my boot light?

Also, where do I solder/connect them to on the back of the light to make it work again?

Kev

The red and green wires are the correct colours for the boot light and should be connected across the two terminals of the light unit.

When you touched the two wires together you'll have blown the 7.5 amp dome fuse in the engine compartment fuse box.

Well, I went and had a look, I first of all had to extend the wires as they had next to no reach, I soldered some extensions on then heatshrinked both of them (no tape here ;) ) ...

Crimped a pair of spade connectors on then plugged in...

And here we have it, I now have a working boot light, ahh the little things eh? :p

BTW, not sure which fuse it was, but it was in the engine bay fuse box and was a 10a ;)

I hate little things like that not working, it bugs the hell out of me! When i picked my supra up the drivers door speaker weren't working ended up pulling into a petrol station and using the tools from the boot to strip down and find out why, turns out the connector had falled off lol! Good job though i found out i had uprated front speakers! :p

The fuse that protects the boot light circuit is called the 'DOME' fuse... and it should be 7.5 amp. :)

Why's it called that then? I don't know what it was, all I know is that is was 10amp:)

I hate little things like that not working, it bugs the hell out of me! When i picked my supra up the drivers door speaker weren't working ended up pulling into a petrol station and using the tools from the boot to strip down and find out why, turns out the connector had falled off lol! Good job though i found out i had uprated front speakers! :p

Tell me bout it mate, I've been on a mission since I bought the car, probably nothing that would bother a normal person, I think I just enjoy sorting out niggly things like that

Why's it called that then? I don't know what it was, all I know is that is was 10amp:)

Don't really know why it's called the 'Dome' fuse... I guess in other countries they call the interior light the 'dome light'.

Supra Fuse Box.jpg