The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra or Skyline???

Guest Himbo

Guest Himbo

I hope this works........ New member and never posted a thread anywhere!

Just sold my E46 M3 CSl and fancy something a bit different. Test drove a R33 Skyline GTR at the weekend nice car but not sure about it, Always fancied a Supra. Any tips on buying one? looking to spend less than 10K on one and stick some money in the bank which will probably end up under the bonnet of the Supra in all honesty.

Well, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Both are great cars, depends which looks you fancy best. Skyline ownership might cost you more in the long run tbh, not because they're less reliable or anything along those lines, it's just that parts and engine work is more expensive. The R33 GTR handles way better than the Supra though, truth be told... but again it depends what you fancy.

Good luck and welcome to the club :)

Welcome In,

I was torn between a R33 GTR and a supra, and drove and looked at plenty.

I found the GTR to be very big and cumbersome, and to me didn't feel very fast either.

I don't like driving cars hard to get them to perform, and was told that you really need to ring the Skyline's neck to get it to 'Get Up & Go'.

It was more about the looks for me like the skyline, but by far I think the design shape and workmanship on the supra is far superior.

Each to there own as they say, but I have walked the ground you are treading and decided the supra was the car for me and it feels much much faster too.

I do miss four wheel drive as I had before in a twin turbo, but you get more driver enjoyment from a 2 wheeler in my opinion.

Good Luck with the decision............> my last bit of advice is to look at as many as you can, I saw no less than 10 of each before taking the plunge.

Best decision I have ever made!

1998 RZ-S Twin Turbo VVT-I Tip-tronic........went for as new as possible too!!

Edited by Pudsey
spelling mistake ......doh! (see edit history)

The R33 Skyline GTR is a world away from the Supra as standard, and when you go £ for £ modifying I'm sure you'll get more from the Supra.

If you bought a CSL it's obvious you like a drivers car. The Skyline will drive itself, whereas you drive the Supra. You know it makes sense.

Edited by Gaz6002 (see edit history)

Having owned a single turbo supra and a r33 gtr, i can tell u that both are very different cars and depends on what u want from the car.

Supra i would buy again but not the gtr as 4wd really is not me.

The build quality on the supe is miles ahead of the gtr and also supes dont suffer from any major rust problems like the skylines.

To me the 2jz is one of the best engine's in the world and has plenty of torque and is a very robust engine compared to the rb26 which can be fragile if revved high.

I have a e46 m3 myself now and love the s54 engine and whole car and again it is completely different to both the gtr and supes.

Drive both and buy the one that excites you.