The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello! Moving from Perth, Western Australia!

Guest Fryman

Guest Fryman

Hey guys,

Didn't know there was such a big supra/import following in the UK given how cheap your euro cars are! Name is Lukian and on the 11th my lady and me hit the floor running in london! Found this thread after looking for a bluetooth odb/odb2 reader and apparently the earlier supras are odbI

Initially staying in Surrey at her familys until we get an apartment somewhere in london,

Just to give you a background my last 3 cars were a 08 exige s in carbon orange with complete option + LSD, a jza70 with a built 1.5jz running a trust t88 turbo on 1.8 bar, a 92 v12 bmw 850, and the only car i havent sold... a FC rx7 convertible running a extend port 13b motor with a trust t88-34d and 5 speed albins dog box. Shes staying undercover for the home beat up car.

Rx7 here --> http://photos.charitymods.org/main.php?g2_itemId=865

Exige here --> http://photos.charitymods.org/main.php?g2_itemId=79814

BMW here --> http://photos.charitymods.org/main.php?g2_itemId=125542

Supra here --> http://photos.charitymods.org/main.php?g2_itemId=113747

Now from preliminary research on japanese imports in the uk, its not so clear what the situation is with importing, and processes involved. In Australia, you have to get a import approval from the government, then bring it in, pay ridiculous taxes, then a compliance process which makes the car "australian" .. then after all that a pit inspection.

You guys are somewhat the same but without the compliance process, and just a MOT + insurance cost.. is that right?

What are good websites to find full modified supras to buy? the one i have my heart set on (when i land on the 11th, we are driving there to buy this unless something better comes along) is this

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/TOYOTA+SUPRA/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-240-4294966983-4294967144/advert.action?R=200801326138480&distance=14&postcode=BB11+5AG&channel=CARS&make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=1996&vehicleRegLetter=P

Anybody know any history on this car.

Im looking for a built 2jz with a t88 or t51kaispl. preferably jap built.

Now in australia, and particularly in perth, the police do not like modified cars, japanese or euro.. from what i can see the police dont care so much for import owners there as well? People arent targeted for what cars they drive are they ( so long as they drive in a safe manner?!?! ) Since that is the case, we have car groups which organise meetups, cruises etc. The main one i am an active part of is http://www.antilag.com. Some groups target people that like to dress up their car, where others, particularly antilag, are performance biased, it doesnt matter so much what it looks like, Is there the same sort of enthusiasm in the uk as well?

Looking at the overall picture, comparing what im used to, it makes no sense to own a jap import in the uk as your european stuff devalues so quickly, for the same price you could have a 2000+ m3/m5 or something to that effect. Audi/BMW/Merc here are stupidly expensive as we are so far away and then luxuary car tax anything over 25,000 pounds. Its ridiculous

Anyway thats my rant, Any help is appreciated and pending that supra in the link checks out (or i find another crazy one) ill be seeing you all very soon!

Lukian

Welcome. :)

Jurgen

A trader here.

This man knows everything about importing and is responsible for providing some of the best Supras in the UK.

DO NOT BUY YOUR CAR FROM THE LINK PROVIDED.

Use search word Keighley to find out why.

Here's just one example dodgy stuff

Tuning the FCON I'd speak to Ryan G at 2 bar Tuning, also a trader here.

Guest Fryman

will do!! some of them prices are a bit high i think but the quality of those cars all look very good

ive been watching yahoo japan auctions for years, and seem a few of those cars. definately quality!

reading keighley, that is quite a concern. Is there anybody in the area that can have a look at that car and get a second opinion (http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/TOYOTA+SUPRA/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-240-4294966983-4294967144/advert.action?R=200801326138480&distance=14&postcode=BB11+5AG&channel=CARS&make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=1996&vehicleRegLetter=P)

If it was built in japan then theres a good chance that all is good. If they have touched it, which they appear to do somehow on most things, then they more then likely have swapped out bits and pieces for rubbish.

thats not good at all

Guest Fryman
not all cars in japan are good;)

well aware

ive imported 7 from there personally.. and its hit or miss.

mr jurgen im going to have to catch up with you and pick your brains on some things ;)

The whole japanese import thing here in Aus is built on the principal that the japanese make a good car, then spend 10 million yen in modifications on it, race it a couple of times, then either get bored of it or it gets repossesed because they cant afford to pay for it or daddys trust money ran out because business is bad.

If its built properly then you cant beat it, if they done some things right and missed a couple of screws, then its repairable

The last thing I want is that they have taken that car which would be put together rather well (funnily enough on a build like that and no braided hosing or earls fittings??.. strange) and they pilfering parts of it or swapping parts with other crap.

That my biggest worry. Besides the horror stories, and theres 1000s of them from reading, ill go check it out listen to her hum and check for telltale signs of parts being swapped out or bad matainence

What im in effect looking for is something around 12-15 with a t88/51kaispl and a powerfc thats a quality build in a good shell with some decent brakes and jdm wheels. Possibly a big ask as trawling thru the for sale posts theres not much like that, and then theres jurgen cars which are awesome, but quite a bit more... thus losing the value for money perspective

im sorry for the rant!!! moving to the UK makes you nervous and trying to explain what im trying to accomplish isnt easy

to lighten up the mood listen to my 1.5jz with t88 make pidgeon noises

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuU-SfbB2Bk

Guest Fryman

thats not bad, but i would at that price be looking at a global auto job. they have a 3.1 t04z for 3 million yen.

cmon the exchange rate!

I think one in the country on the road with the bits to prove itself should be key. Next stop dodgytown and see what these guys have done

Hi and welcome to the UK (nearly), and the club. :)

One piece of advice; things are never cheap here in the UK! It's something you're going to have to get used to, I'm afraid.

Good luck in your search, and hope to see you at a few meets here in the sunny south of England. :)

thats not bad, but i would at that price be looking at a global auto job. they have a 3.1 t04z for 3 million yen.

cmon the exchange rate!

I think one in the country on the road with the bits to prove itself should be key. Next stop dodgytown and see what these guys have done

the thing your forgetting is global auto car is over 20k just in japan..

you need to include shipping costs,vat duty and otr.

so this a good 3 to 4k more than this t51R otr am offering..

(so we cant compare the 2 cars)

we have bought from global aswell as others for over 4 years..

they are good but there is others that sell good cars too in japan..

i think the t51r serves better value and will be in better condition..

anyway am only advising you..

Guest Fryman
the thing your forgetting is global auto car is over 20k just in japan..

you need to include shipping costs,vat duty and otr.

so this a good 3 to 4k more than this t51R otr am offering..

(so we cant compare the 2 cars)

we have bought from global aswell as others for over 4 years..

they are good but there is others that sell good cars too in japan..

i think the t51r serves better value and will be in better condition..

anyway am only advising you..

Will be in contact sir! im in chipstead now and am sussing out the market. Shall see how it goes!!

that t04r one is tempting, I might come down to your yard and have a looksee what you have in stock.