The mkiv Supra Owners Club

overheating

Guest ro66ie

Guest ro66ie

while driving, my radiator overflow tank was bubbling and steaming (overheating) and i drove it a long way to get home, about 2-3 miles and it started tapping getting louder and smoking out the exhaust (white smoke) and lost power and the T peice bleeder pipe (top pipe) had split spilling coolant all in the spark plug bay....the car sounded fcuked can anyone help me cos i might of knacked it driving it home cos my parents have gone to florida so i had no choice.. the coolant reservoir is still full and i only needed to fill the rad up with a about a pint of water this morning (cold)

rob

Edited by ro66ie (see edit history)

sounds like you could have a air lock/blockage in the system i would empty it all out flush it and then refill with coolant not water .

check you dipstick and oil cap for mayonaise [white gunk]though i dont think you could have blown the head gasket unless you really cooked it.

thats all i can think of, good luck in fixing it .

I'd fix the leak then top up with coolant, also get all the coolant from around the plugs and coils, check or better still replace the rad cap for new o/e.

you could also check the stats working before filling with coolant and replace it to be on the safe side as there not much

run the car up with the heat full on in the car and see what happens

make sure the overflow tank is at its correct level and the rads full

good luck as it doesnt take long to cook an aluminium head

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

What did the temperature gauge tell you?

When was the rad cap last replaced? They fail often, pressure doesn't get up so coolant not flowing around the engine. Refill with water and start up, do the rubber water pipes feel hard like they're getting up to pressure?

Is the radiator good and not leaking? Thermostat ever changed?

If your engine is making horrible noises then you may as well give up now assuming head gasket and possibly warped head etc.

Don't EVER drive the car over temperature, I don't care if your parent are in Florida.

while driving, my radiator overflow tank was bubbling and steaming (overheating) and i drove it a long way to get home, about 2-3 miles and it started tapping getting louder and smoking out the exhaust (white smoke) and lost power and the T peice bleeder pipe (top pipe) had split spilling coolant all in the spark plug bay....the car sounded fcuked can anyone help me cos i might of knacked it driving it home cos my parents have gone to florida so i had no choice.. the coolant reservoir is still full and i only needed to fill the rad up with a about a pint of water this morning (cold)

rob

You've busted it. You drove the car while it was overheating and now the headgasket has gone (white smoke out the exhaust is coolant getting into the cylinders) and if you did it that long the head is probably warped at least.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but what did you expect. Does no-one have AA cover these days?! I wouldn't be without it.

What did the temperature gauge tell you?

When was the rad cap last replaced? They fail often, pressure doesn't get up so coolant not flowing around the engine. Refill with water and start up, do the rubber water pipes feel hard like they're getting up to pressure?

Is the radiator good and not leaking? Thermostat ever changed?

If your engine is making horrible noises then you may as well give up now assuming head gasket and possibly warped head etc.

Don't EVER drive the car over temperature, I don't care if your parent are in Florida.

Or with the oil light on, oh that was vicky:innocent:

I nursed a car from bradford to birmingham once due to a blocked rad, i had to keep pulling over to let it cool down watching the temp gauge like a hawk, took me about 5 hours:)

Guest ro66ie

yeah but two weeks ago i had the head gasket and stem seals done :) ...so i cant be the head gasket again no way

yeah but two weeks ago i had the head gasket and stem seals done :) ...so i cant be the head gasket again no way

why not ? if you have overheated the car, had the temps go through the roof and had coolant enter the cylinder it would not matter if the head gasket was 10 years or 10 mins old

I would be looking at the work you have had done now though and asking the question is that involved in the issue at all

Well it sounds like it's gone again now and who knows what else. Whoever did the work either didn't do it properly, or something else failed in the mean time.

Guest ro66ie

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO..........radiator cap lmfao..very lucky....toyotas are the best cars in the world....17 quid for a new one

You really are clutching at straws now lol. If its of any interest to you i have a nearly new stock cap sitting in my kitchen that you can try ;)

You are steaming :Pling:

I'm asking out of interest, as I didn't think a rad cap would contribute to power loss :search:

Anyway, I've recently replaced mine ;)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO..........radiator cap lmfao..very lucky....toyotas are the best cars in the world....17 quid for a new one

I take it from the above its ok now, have you driven it any distance ?

Whats your lottery numbers please as your very very lucky if it stays that way :)

TRD rad cap's got to be worth 5-10hp surely :D