The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I need help with Supra iv

Guest Jono

Guest Jono

I have an import supra mkiv manual 6, 1994 but its go a few problems.I've had it 8 years. The car is basicaly a bog standard TT import. Only mods are a BOV and a HKS exhaust as well as all the Veilside stuff and a few grands worth of alloys and some AP racing brakes, even the CATS are still in. I had it de-ristricted when it came to the UK Honestly the best and strongest car i've ever owned. The problem started with a flashing engine light about 6 months ago now this has now stopped flashing, i have problems with the idle (all over the place) and for some reason the traction control light keeps coming on. At full throtle the car does hold back like it being starved of fuel or limited at about 160mph. I've changed the plugs twice iridium DENSO's and got a new air filter. I dont believe its the fuel filter, I believe its and ECU problem but i would like some advise before i take it to a someone and get ripped off. If anyone can help or pass this email to someone who really knows about Supra's it will be greatly appreciated. Jono

Guest Jono

The error codes are 4 flashes then 2 or 2 then 4 ......One is linked to the inlet temp the other is linked to the speed indication but i forget exactly. thanks i'll get the it checked if you think its the problem.

The error codes are 4 flashes then 2 or 2 then 4 ......One is linked to the inlet temp the other is linked to the speed indication but i forget exactly. thanks i'll get the it checked if you think its the problem.

First ascertain whether its 24 or 42. Code 42 is very common, although doesn't usually produce any symptoms other than the warning light coming on.

Guest Jono

Its not like the fuel cut problem. The best i can explain is the car is missing near full throttle. How does the traction control light come into it or do i have 2 problems? The idle starts to reduce the longer i drive the car and has cut out a couple of times. How much is a new ECU?and whick is the best to cause me the least roblems.

I dont think it will be a faulty ecu,its almost unheard of.If I recall rightly code 42 is speed sensor??

If so it could a dodgy speedo conversion chip which will have been fitted when the car was imported.Or the the speed sensor could actually be at fault.

The missing could well be faulty coil packs or the electrical coil pack connectors being broken.Worth a look at those for starters.

You arent the black supra st Sleaford are you?Was working over that way and kept seeing a black stockish one knocking around.

Guest Jono

No i'm from Lincoln itself. I just atached a picture if your interested!!

OK so my plan so far is to get the 02 sensor replaced and the speed chip and the jumper checked but you think the ECU is ok?. Any other ideas welcome. Thanks for the help.

02052009259.jpg

Guest Jono

Thanks i understand but i'll replace everything if it solves the problem. Had a look at your car very cool. Does anyone know how much for a replacement ECU?

Does anyone know how much for a replacement ECU?

*If* the ECU needed replacing I'd contact one of the traders on here that deals in used parts from breakers etc. I imagine they're hideously expensive from Toyota, if they even sell them at all anymore. :)

The engine MIL light is the car's way of saying something isn't right. Post up on here what the code(s) are and we'll take it from there. Best to ask on here about the codes before buying lots of new parts. The error codes are the result of the ECU taking an educated guess at what's wrong, and (for example) a code 42 (speed sensor) very rarely means that you need to buy a new speed sensor. The actual fault can lie elsewhere....

As already mentioned, It'll most likely be a faulty speedo converter or possibly a faulty FCD (less likely). Simple and free to find out ; just remove it and see if the problem goes away.

I've never known of a faulty ECU before - unless it's been modded or drenched.

Guest Jono

I've read write ups for the Boost Cut and FCD and it does not sound like I have either of these problems. 1st the CATS are still in 2nd the boost indication is never above 0.8 and 3rd there is no indication on the dash when the problem starts, at near full throttle and 4th its not a scary loss of power. The only warning light I get is from the traction control and this can happen when the car is sat in the drive.... I'm now leaning towards a problem wth speed chip and still the ECU because the idle is dropping off the longer I drive the car... All help appreciated.

Guest Jono

OK another check to add to the list... Where is it? and how do you reset it? I thought the ECU controlled the idle.

No i'm from Lincoln itself. I just atached a picture if your interested!!

OK so my plan so far is to get the 02 sensor replaced and the speed chip and the jumper checked but you think the ECU is ok?. Any other ideas welcome. Thanks for the help.

There's a couple more members here from Lincoln as well - happy to meet up and have a look/listen if you're interested at any time.

I purchased a new ECU from toyota a while back although it was for the vvti but I would imagine the prices would be similar. It was over £700 but with the club discount came in at £645 so not cheap and probably not the problem but just for your info.

Guest drlee

i had a dodgy traction controll issue,turned out to be sollenoid on throttle body.just a suggestion mind.... d.r