The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hks bov vs stock

jazz1

Apart from the sound does the supra benefit anything from the hks bov or does it cause lag. What do you guys think is the stock one better in terms of performance?

Stick with stock,no performance gains from the HKS and it sounds like a dog whistle.:tongue:

stock ones are useless at anything over stock and usually leak regardless of them looking mint. Just cap it all off and be done with it, neither offer any performance gains what so ever

Sorry mate, but that is not correct, the stock BOV is absolutely fine for even up to 1.4 bar. They only leak if they are knackered.

Surely the stock one offers the performance gain of allowing the pressure to be held in the system to keep the turbo spinning during gearchange? If you block it off the pressure will go backwards stalling to turbo, if you use an HKS there will be no surge to boost the turbo but it will be free to spin.

The least effective method with regards to performance is blocking it off.

Why dont many people remove the BOV completely on TT Supras? Is it for fear of damaging j-spec cermaic turbos?

Probably. There seems to be some stigma regarding compressor surge/stall. Its not an issue with the piddly turbo's we run. You need serious boost for it to effect a compressor wheel badly.

It sounds cool though. Best performance is a recirc. If the original poster wants the best of both worlds add a recirc pipe to the HKS. The HKS is a good BOV IMO. The noise is just for show, but if used as a recirc it would work better than stock.

Why dont many people remove the BOV completely on TT Supras? Is it for fear of damaging j-spec cermaic turbos?

For that exactly, however CW has always maintained they are not needed and are only there to reduce "unpleasant" compressor stall noise.

all i want to know is will the new type hks bov affect my turbo or performance or lag. Im in double minds in going back to stock but if i do il order a berand new stock bov

no effect at all mate

For that exactly, however CW has always maintained they are not needed and are only there to reduce "unpleasant" compressor stall noise.

mine has been blanked off for a good 2 years now after going through numerous stock recircs

all i want to know is will the new type hks bov affect my turbo or performance or lag. Im in double minds in going back to stock but if i do il order a berand new stock bov

For the best performance you want it to recirculate. Its up to you if you use stock or HKS. My choice would be the HKS as it has the push/pull mechanism which keeps it closed at low boost etc. This will ensure that it doesn't leak at low boost.

:)

For the best performance you want it to recirculate. Its up to you if you use stock or HKS. My choice would be the HKS as it has the push/pull mechanism which keeps it closed at low boost etc. This will ensure that it doesn't leak at low boost.

ok il leave it than i dont know much about these engine performance things i just want the best for my supra :)

no effect at all mate

Whats your way of thinking in this? I can't get around how it won't have an effect.

I know exactly how the stock BOV works and exactly how the HKS one works yet you seem to think that venting to atmosphere doesn't lose any performance.

Do you have a recirc adapter for it though?

all i know is i bought it from dusty, the kit came with this black thing that blocks one pipe of and the other connects the bov up one with a thin pipe and and at the bottom connects a fat pipe

all i know is i bought it from dusty, the kit came with this black thing that blocks one pipe of and the other connects the bov up one with a thin pipe and and at the bottom connects a fat pipe

Lol, ok...

You should have been given a little adapter that looks like it belongs to a hose kit. If you don't have one you will need to get one in order to recirculate the boost pressure back into the system.

Instead of blocking off the recirc return you use the adapter on the HKS to divert the boost back into the system.

You will really need pics to describe all of this lol.

This is the old one but its similar to this....

https://www.optionseuro.com/images/hks-sqrk.gif

The bit at the front is the adapter i'm talking about. You connect this to the bit you have blocked off at the moment. That makes your HKS a recirculating one :)

A danish magazine just did a test on a Nissan something (don't remember which, a small 10 year old hot hatch) where they tested in gear acceleration times as well as rolling start to 62mph without a BOV, with a bypass BOV and with a proper BOV venting to atmosphere.

It turned out that the bypass and no BOV was around ½ a second faster to 62 which completely eliminates the general thought that a BOV venting to atmosphere is to remove the pressure slowint the turbo down between shifts.

On another note, does anybody know the exact size for the plug needed to block off the standard BOV position?

i just checked my box and theres a silver adapter i think it goes onto the front part of the bov. So all i need to do is fit the adapter onto the bov and then a pipe from its tip to the part i blocked off?

does the adaptor have a thread on it? or is it just held in place by the front piece, i have been thinking about making an adaptor to recirc my HKS bov