The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any info on 19 rims?

Ganty

+50mm is the regular offset, but you can go less than that and it will bring the wheel closer to the wheel arch which looks better.

I've got:

19 x 8.5 offset +39........245/35 19 tyre

19 x 9.5 offset +37........275/30 19 tyre

Others will have different sizes that fit aswell.

You've got to make sure that a particular wheel will clear the brake calipers aswell as not rubbing on the wheel arch.

Rubbing depends on the offset of the wheel, how low the suspension is and to an extent the width of the wheel. But offset is the major key. Stock 17's are +50 front and back. You will be unlikely to find that in an after market 19".

I used to run 19"s on stock suspension without any rubbing and a set of springs would have been fine too. I dont know what the offset was though TBH.

When I had my 19's I found the ride a quite uncomfortable and bumpy. Fast conering wasn't as good as now (18's). But for a daily drive and the odd spiritted one I think they are fine, as long as you get a full four wheel alignment/geo set up.

If 19s ruin the handling then why did the TRD supes run them ?

Ride might be worse due to lower profile rubber, but overall rolling radius will be the same/very similar. There is no reason for rubbage unless the offset is incorrect.

I cant understand why the handling would be worse with 19s that are the same rolling radius as 18s or 17s with higher profile tyres ? Ride worse yes, handling worse - WHY ?

Surely the handling would be better with a lower profile as there will be less flex/movement in the tyre wall ?

I cant understand why the handling would be worse with 19s that are the same rolling radius as 18s or 17s with higher profile tyres ? Ride worse yes, handling worse - WHY ?

Surely the handling would be better with a lower profile as there will be less flex/movement in the tyre wall ?

You have answered your own question, the flexibility of the sidewall is all part of the suspension kinematics and does actually play a significant part. They also help with dampening bumps in the road allowing the car to be more compliant.

The MKIV supra is an old car, it's design is older. When released the J spec came out on 16" rims. That is the wheel size on which it handles best. The export car came with 17" rims to pander to the UK and UK markets, I doubt Toyota did much if anything to the suspension to accommodate the extra wheel size, so the handling was already compromised, 18" rims are pushing things even further. I have 18" rims but am willing to accept the compromise as I need wide rubber to get traction and have not found a 17" rim wide enough and with a design I want to put on the car. As has already been pointed out the tyre is an important part of overall suspension design. In the final analysis every owner has to ask them selves what is their cars purpose? If looks are paramount and handling is not an issue then go as big as you can cram into the arches, but don't expect the car to handle as Toyota intended.

Our M3 was designed to run on 19" rims so it handles extremely well, however I expect it would drive like a barge on 22" rims.

UK Suspension is quite a bit different from J-Spec. Mostly for comfort on the UK roads but it might be partly down to changing to 17's.

With a proper alignment i don't think your average driver would notice a difference in the cornering. It WILL be there but negligible on the UK roads IMO. The comfort, of what little there is with J-Specs, will be gone though.