The mkiv Supra Owners Club

any high stall torque converter users on here?

L33

i will be fitting a 3800 high stall converter to my boostlogic box and i have a 25 row rad to keep it cool

BUT

ive heard mentioned some also strap on a fan to keep it cool or else it cooks on idle?

any one on here have a high stall and can share some light if a rad is enough?

cheers

I have two massive coolers on now mate! One is mounted infront of the FMIC with a 12" electric fan behind the FMIC. Both are now ducted. TBH mate you need as many coolers as are needed to keep it within the correct temp range. For me thats 2 coolers with a fan.

I would say a minimum of 2 tbh and my advice comes after trashing 2/3 boostlogic boxes and they need all the help they can get as they are very simular to stock :innocent:

is that for drag tho or just for daily driver? i wont be draggin mine at all

my garage didnt see the need in 2 thats why i went for one 25 row one. there isnt many places for air to get through in the standard bumper. i dont want to over do it with cooling if it wont need it.

appreciate your comments tho

only one person??!?!

a 25 row is to big as the pressure drop will be considerable, i would suggest 2 * 12 rows and not the large core type . Its not just the cooling but also the pressure drop from the cooler to the gearbox, this will cause it to change gear rather harse unless you got an ecu to compansate for the drop.

Rob setup goes from the gearbox to the rad which acts as a cooler aswell, hopefully dropping the temp down then into the front cooler then to the side duct cooler and back , both coolers are not your conventional oil coolers but thin transmission coolers. If you going to use an oil cooler then use a 12 row unit, they are thin and the pressure drop wont be as great.

a 25 row is to big as the pressure drop will be considerable, i would suggest 2 * 12 rows and not the large core type . Its not just the cooling but also the pressure drop from the cooler to the gearbox, this will cause it to change gear rather harse unless you got an ecu to compansate for the drop.

Rob setup goes from the gearbox to the rad which acts as a cooler aswell, hopefully dropping the temp down then into the front cooler then to the side duct cooler and back , both coolers are not your conventional oil coolers but thin transmission coolers. If you going to use an oil cooler then use a 12 row unit, they are thin and the pressure drop wont be as great.

good stuff, this is also why its vital on a high stall to have a temp gauge, you defo need a fan as well or some means of pulling air through when sat in traffic, mine kicks in at 80 degrees C

the oil cooler i have is a transmission rad. 25 row from whifbitz

the garage didnt see the need in 2 small coolers just have the one?

i will be fitting a temp gauge

i will be running a greddy emanage ultimate ecu.

i will get them to read this and see what they think

its the fan stuff im trying to check on. why would the box generate loads of heat if your just sat on idle?

its the fan stuff im trying to check on. why would the box generate loads of heat if your just sat on idle?

when you are crawling along in traffic you are constantly using the T/C rather like slipping the clutch in a manual, as you are not moving the heat has no where to go so builds up, you will get away with it in winter when the ambient is low but come summer you would end up with the box at very high temps, when my thermostat failed on the cooling fan i ended sat in traffic with the box past 100 degrees C, on its own this is within the capabilities of the fluid and gearbox but all you are doing is shortening the life of what is an expensive bit of kit, and dont forget this was on mine with a 3200 stall, with your 3800 stall you will be producing even more heat, worst case scenario is a "spirited run" followed immediately by hitting standing traffic (not uncommon in the UK :() you will literally cook the seals in the box, you either need a fan or as Rob says have the cooler in line with the main engine fan and ducted properly

ok mate. good explaination thanks

im still in confusion about the stall i need. the 3800 is ment to be best for the gt4088 im having fitted as its a larger turbo

the 3200 will not be on the peak of the turbo like the 3800 so thats why ive been swayed towards the 3800. i wont be dragging but its nice to know i have a drag ready car if that makes sence if i ever change my mind.

i think a separate fan will be a good idea. found a little 6 inch one for around £40 which aint bad.

You need to fit a lock up switch for motorway use, when you engage this the temp drops dramatically, and it will do loads more to the gallon, it will lock in gear and not slip at all. Fit a temp guage it is quite frightening how hot they get. I'm selling the old autometer liquid filled guages from my old car. Oil Pressure, Boost and Gearbox Temp.

ok mate. good explaination thanks

im still in confusion about the stall i need. the 3800 is ment to be best for the gt4088 im having fitted as its a larger turbo

seems a fair compromise with the size of turbo you have, i would say the 3800 is right

You need to fit a lock up switch for motorway use

good point dude, you can get away without a lock up on a 3200 stall by just letting off the throttle and the box will change up, however i dont think this trick would work on a 3800 stall, Lee do a search for lock up switch, its just a couple off wires and a switch, some peeps use the OD switch on the selector