The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bits blowing onto dash...Any ideas what it is or where it's coming from?

marbleapple

Evening all,

Ever since my car went in for its 'respray' I seem to be getting only what i can describe as dirty oily sponge being blown into the cabin.

Having looked in the engine bay I can't see anythign obvious that should be being blown in. I just wondered if anyone knew what it is, where it is coming from and how on earth I can stop it?

I am probably being really dim but it is driving me a little up the wall!

Thanks as always guys!

p.s. - Yes I do clean my car and no it's not dust :)

Photo:

There's a filter in line. Looks like it may be breaking down mate. :(

I think it's a carbon filter located at the rear right hand side of the bay as you look from the front of the car.

Ah ok. So its not the end of the world.

Presumably just have to find this filter and replace it.... I am guessing it is slightly more technical than the air filter?

Presumably just have to find this filter and replace it.... I am guessing it is slightly more technical than the air filter?

It's not the air filter. :) That's bottom left standing in front of the car. :)

I didn't know about the foam lining from JustGavs post though. So possibly two causes.

Easiest will be the ac filter, just swap it out with a new one from MrT. I've read somewhere that they are lifed at about 3 years so it's a possibilty.

No idea with the foam lining though. :(

Probably the foam lining on the air system, there are a few sections of it especially round the blower system.

CORRECT

Hi,

Thanks.

Ok so would I need to replace some pipes etc? (Sorry I know very little about the internals of cars).

No, the foam is part of the seals on the valves inside the heater box. Toyota dont sell the parts so the only option is a new heater unit or some creative DIY with some foam sheet. Still requires the heater box to be removed though.

There's a filter in line. Looks like it may be breaking down mate. :(

I think it's a carbon filter located at the rear right hand side of the bay as you look from the front of the car.

Thats the biggest load of bull i've ever heard:rolleyes:. The charcoal cannister, which is about the only thing at the rear right of the bay has NOTHING to do with the heating system:banghead::banghead:

It's a pollen filter isn't it?

NO - the supra doesnt have a pollen filter

It's not the air filter. :) That's bottom left standing in front of the car. :)

I didn't know about the foam lining from JustGavs post though. So possibly two causes.

Easiest will be the ac filter, just swap it out with a new one from MrT. I've read somewhere that they are lifed at about 3 years so it's a possibilty.

No idea with the foam lining though. :(

NO - the supra doesnt have a pollen filter or ac filter or any other sort of filter in the heater system.

I would set the heater on full, blower on full and let it blow all the loose out, then leave well alone. It was probably caused by baking the car in the paint booth causing the old foam to dry out.

CORRECT

No, the foam is part of the seals on the valves inside the heater box. Toyota dont sell the parts so the only option is a new heater unit or some creative DIY with some foam sheet. Still requires the heater box to be removed though.

Thats the biggest load of bull i've ever heard:rolleyes:. The charcoal cannister, which is about the only thing at the rear right of the bay has NOTHING to do with the heating system:banghead::banghead:

NO - the supra doesnt have a pollen filter

NO - the supra doesnt have a pollen filter or ac filter or any other sort of filter in the heater system.

I would set the heater on full, blower on full and let it blow all the loose out, then leave well alone. It was probably caused by baking the car in the paint booth causing the old foam to dry out.

Ok. :)

• 1 year later...

Where some of the plastic heater ducts join behind the dash they use strips of foam rubber to make an airtight seal. Over time the foam degrades and breaks down. It would be very time consuming to take the whole dash out, and the heater box, which has flaps within it that are similarly sealed, strip the old foam off and replace it with suitable new foam. Nonetheless quite possible. It would be a good opportunity to Hammerite more bits ;)

• 4 months later...

my bloody car is doing this aswell, every now and then i pop the heaters on and puff, covered in bits :blink: really easy to wipe up tho, im not bother by it. it is pretty obivious what it is tho, just foam breaking down in the blower system. ive put my blowers on full to blast it all out, but give it a few days/week or whatever and it comes bk.