The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Refurbing my dash panels

Kev_A

Well, I started this yesterday, just taking my time with it as I'm in no rush, I have the work van to use while it's in bits so just been taking 1 piece out at a time.

TBH, the plastics were never in what you would call "terrible" condition, the gear selector and leccy window button surrounds were the worst chips wise, but it was the actual rubbery coating that done my head in, no matter what you use it just always seemed to look grubby or marked.

I started with the gear selector surround, popped it out, seperated the ashtray to make both the gear panel and ashtray easier to work on. Used anti-bloom cellulose thinners on a soft rag and rubbed away to take the rubbery coating off, (not such a hard task TBH) I then used a new (stiff) scotch pad to remove any traces of the rubber and to key the surface of the plastic, to my delight I found that there was absolutely no damage to the panels at all, all visible chips and scratches were just in the rubber coating.

I then mixed some 2 pack filler primer and built up a good thick coat through my airbrush, once dry I flatted back any peaks and grainy patches with a scotch pad and 1000 grit paper, I then applied another dusting just to build it up further, next came the paint, as the plan was to have a matt finish I started with a matt clear base and mixed in plenty of black dye, thinned it down and once again began to build up a good thick coat, then again, once dry I flatted down any rough patches with 1000 grit paper, applied another light coat then took the panel to the back of my van to start applying lacquer.

I had the choice of Morrells Matt, Semi-matt, Satin or Gloss, again, aiming for a matt finish I chose matt lacquer (Morrells is the only lacquer my company supplies me with and just so happens to be perfect for the job anyway ;) )

applyling at a distance of approx 30cm I started applying the lacquer, using slow, steady movements from left to right and back again until I had full coverage, I then left this to dry, my van provided a good environment to do this I felt as it was both warm and sheltered from any contamination.

I then started on my next panel using the same process as before, using any "downtime" to jump into the back of the van to apply another coat of lacquer to the previous panel.

I built up several layers on the panels to give them both a nice even finish and a tough shell, TBH I went a bit OTT with the lacquer and I've ended up with a satin finish which (turns out) I actually prefer!

Anyway, sorry for the long write up, just thought I'd give everyone a proper insight as to what I'd been up to and the method I used incase they wish to copy, I have some pics which I'll upload later on ;)

Edited by Kev_A (see edit history)

Sorry I'm late in posting the pics, the Supra has been sleeping under the building since sunday, I'm off today so had a chance to bring it out in to the light and take some pics, only one I have left to do id is the door switch panel, anyone able to tell me how to get this off?

Comments and criticisms welcome :)

I haven't really uploaded any pics since owning the car, but the additions I've made are...

Smoked crystal side repeaters

Painted black inner headlights

L.E.D sidelights

6000k H.I.D conversion

Chrome rings on heater vents, controls and dials

White faced, blue illuminating El-Glo dials with TRD logos

Boost gauge

& of course, refurbed dash plastics :)

Edited by Kev_A (see edit history)

Mate, that is sheer gorgeous. Totally in keeping with the rest of the cabin. Very Very well done..

And..

Best dash refurb I've ever seen. :cool:

:yeahthat: totally!

On another note, i would pay you nicely to do the exact same to mine! PM if interested :)

P.s, where did you get the chrome surronds for the dials on the centre dash? Only been able to get them for the main clocks :)

P.p.s

Get in touch with Nic and get yourself a brand new OEM handbrake level and brand new OEM gear knob and that will finish your dash off nicely. Not pricey at all and the new leather is goreous!

Thanks alot for all your kind comments, I'm over the moon with it but I didn't realise it would be so well received on here :)

TBH I hadn't thought of offering it as a service but it's certainly not out of the question, I always have materials as Repair and resurfacing is what I do for a living, as well as that I can colour/finish match so I could offer a variety of colours and finishes too :)

Would I have to apply as a hobbyist or is it ok to do the odd one now and then?

I'd have to have a think on price and it would probably work best on an exchange basis.

But anyway, thanks for the comments so far and let the positive feedback continue :)

P.s, where did you get the chrome surronds for the dials on the centre dash? Only been able to get them for the main clocks :)

P.p.s

Get in touch with Nic and get yourself a brand new OEM handbrake level and brand new OEM gear knob and that will finish your dash off nicely. Not pricey at all and the new leather is goreous!

I bought them from a seller on ebay mate,

Here....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-CHROME-AIR-VENTS-HEATER-RINGS-SURROUNDS_W0QQitemZ300308282172QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item300308282172&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

:)

And cheers for the tip on the h/b & g/s ;)

Thanks alot for all your kind comments, I'm over the moon with it but I didn't realise it would be so well received on here :)

TBH I hadn't thought of offering it as a service but it's certainly not out of the question, I always have materials as Repair and resurfacing is what I do for a living, as well as that I can colour/finish match so I could offer a variety of colours and finishes too :)

Would I have to apply as a hobbyist or is it ok to do the odd one now and then?

I'd have to have a think on price and it would probably work best on an exchange basis.

But anyway, thanks for the comments so far and let the positive feedback continue :)

One or two are alright but if you want to have a little section on here and advertise outright that you can do this for members then it's a hobbyist. You can do you first test batch for me!! :D

Cheers to you too! you learn something new everyday! :)