The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hey Guys, Total Newbie Here

Richie1985

Hey everyone,

I'm Richie and from Darlington, I drive a Citroen Xsara VTS at the moment (I know it sound poo but it is really a good car and 180bhp surprises a lot of people :p )

I don't currently own a supra but am looking into buying one (now that the insurance isn't stupid :) ) I really don't know too much about the car (yet) and decided this would be the best place to find out.

I will probably be looking at getting a NA at the moment as a TT is a little out of my budget and this will be my first RWD car.

I've noticed from reading a few threads that a Supra isn't as simple as NA or TT, what are the differences between the models/specs and also, what are the differences between the UK and Imports?

Obviously I want to find out as much as possible before buying and the autotrader adds are very vague :( so any info will be great ;)

Hi Richie, welcome to the forum :)

Check this thread here for a guide as to the differences within the different models of Supra. :)

Essentially, you get Japanese Domestic Market models and UK spec models.

The UK specs are all Twin Turbo, offered as automatics and also manuals.

There are variants to the J-Specs...SZ, SZ-R, RZ, RZ-S, GZ :) The SZ and SZ-R are the non turbo (NA). Again, auto or manual available. The rest are the TT models which have different available features.

There are also facelift versions (J-Spec only for facelift, all UKs are non-facelift). The facelift NA model SZ-R offers a 6 speed gearbox on the manual model compared to the SZ's 5 speed. The facelift SZ AND SZ-R are both 5 speed.

Rather than basically re-writing the guides for you, best to have a read through to gather the info for yourself. :D

Enjoy!

Hi Richie :welcome:

One thing to keep in mind is that UK spec Supras are quite a bit less to insure than imports.

However, there wasn't a UK NA...... But you may find that a UK TT is less to insure than a import NA anyway :shock:

Its worth ringing around the insurers (Sky is the club's pet insurer but there are others out there, do a search) before deciding which model to go for.

Also, the later facelift manual NA cars come with the 6 speed box, which is ideal for a later TT engine swap ;)

Hi Richie :welcome:

One thing to keep in mind is that UK spec Supras are quite a bit less to insure than imports.

However, there wasn't a UK NA...... But you may find that a UK TT is less to insure than a import NA anyway :shock:

Its worth ringing around the insurers (Sky is the club's pet insurer but there are others out there, do a search) before deciding which model to go for.

Also, the later facelift manual NA cars come with the 6 speed box, which is ideal for a later TT engine swap ;)

something new i learned there..!!!

Welcome Richie. :)

Check the Supra Classifieds under Forums. Some good cars there. Members tend to look after their cars and know more about them. Plus you get history. :)

We also have a very good importer here Jurgen who supplies top quality cars. :)

As said, have fun bud.

Cheers for the warm welcome everyone.

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to get a NA to start with and then to replace with a TT in a few years rather than an engine swap? Is the engine the only difference between the NA and TT or are suspension/ARB's/Drive shafts etc different?

Thanks for the link HateEvent, I found that thread about 5mins after posting lol.

The VTS is 167bhp as standard and I have done a few mods to mine (Induction, Decat, Exhaust, PBV and Advanced the Cams) It is a 2.0l NA engine (same as the 306 GTi6 but without the horrible 6 speed box)

I think the one I'll be looking at gettin as my first supra would be the SZ-R as I prefere manuals but if there is not much within my budget (pretty much whatever I can get for my car + a bit extra) then I'm sure I wouldn't be too put off by the auto box.

I'm not too bothered about whether its UK or J-Spec insurance wise as I got a quote I am happy with for a J-spec TT and NA (not much difference which I was very suprised about considering i'm only 23) Din't get a quote for the UK as the Import NA would only be £20 more a year than my VTS to insure.

Cheers for the warm welcome everyone.

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to get a NA to start with and then to replace with a TT in a few years rather than an engine swap? Is the engine the only difference between the NA and TT or are suspension/ARB's/Drive shafts etc different?

Thanks for the link HateEvent, I found that thread about 5mins after posting lol.

The VTS is 167bhp as standard and I have done a few mods to mine (Induction, Decat, Exhaust, PBV and Advanced the Cams) It is a 2.0l NA engine (same as the 306 GTi6 but without the horrible 6 speed box)

I think the one I'll be looking at gettin as my first supra would be the SZ-R as I prefere manuals but if there is not much within my budget (pretty much whatever I can get for my car + a bit extra) then I'm sure I wouldn't be too put off by the auto box.

I'm not too bothered about whether its UK or J-Spec insurance wise as I got a quote I am happy with for a J-spec TT and NA (not much difference which I was very suprised about considering i'm only 23) Din't get a quote for the UK as the Import NA would only be £20 more a year than my VTS to insure.

You can get a SZ with a 5 speed box, will be cheaper to buy than the 6 speeded SZ-R

having owned a 5 speed N.A i can confirm they are great:d

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

Thats what I'm lookin at gettin at the moment Raven, an SZ. I'm hoping to get about £2500-£3k for my car which would be spent on a supra and thats all I can find within my price range. I'll be looking for a TT in a year or so when I can afford one but a NA is better than no supra at all lol