The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra car ariels.

dublin lad

What's broken on it? There are 3 main components to the aerial system: the relay box on top of the stereo behind the dash, the mast and motor just underneath the mast.

The relay box is fairly reliable. A click behind the dash when you turn the stereo on/off is an indication (although not conclusive) that it's working. The mast can fail if it's kinked or corroded, but otherwise they're fairly reliable.

The common fault is the nylon toothed belt inside the motor that drives the mast up and down. The components are quite easy to get to: take the dash panels off to get to the relay, and take the inner boot trim off to get to the mast/motor.

I suggest you test the electrical signal that the motor gets from the relay. If it gets a signal that changes when you turn the stereo on/off, then the problem's probably within the motor. Take the motor out from the rear wing, and open it up to inspect the nylon belt. I think Mr T sells the belt separately from the motor, or use one of the traders on here.

cheers steve. when i put on cd player and select tuner. u can here the aerial trying to work. maybe its just a case of putting it back in. but it looks better with out to be honest.

Mine has broken the toothed cord so it is stuck up.

Does anyone have a spare unit for sale.

Sounds like both of you could be sorted with a new aerial mast from Toyota (which comes with the nylon belt attached). You probably don't need a new motor (handy, because as a rough order of magnitude, a new motor costs £200ish whilst a new mast costs £50 ish!)

... but if you don't like the look of the OEM mast then fair enough. :)