The mkiv Supra Owners Club

this may be a silly question...

dublin lad

so will this explain why sometimes my car revs like shite before i have to change gear. i will learn over time. cheers bud.

That sounds like a slipping clutch or a clutch that hasn't been adjusted properly. Regardless of what definition is correct they are deliberate, yours sounds like a fault :)

A "slipping clutch" (note: a description) isn't the same as deliberately "slipping the clutch" (a chosen action) - same impact though, the clutch plates slip against each other and the life is shortened. If your clutch slips by itself it either needs adjusting so that both plates can come into contact properly - or - it's buggered and past its useful lifespan. All clutches will eventually wear out.

I always thought when you slipped the clutch you slipped your foot to the side of the pedal so that it would instantly grip and takeoff (not the wheels, the clutch lol). That would drastically shorten the life too though.

Side-stepping the clutch is what you're describing. It'll hit EVERY part of your drivetrain, hard.

so what u reckon i should do. it drives fine as hell every gear has bite. it only happens when i put the foot down just after changing say into 2nd or 3rd. i though maybe cause power was not going into wheels quick enough. but i aint mech minded at all.

Sounds like the clutch is worn bud. That means new clutch :)

If it's worn and starting to slip it'll slip most when under stress, e.g. when accelerating hard and when at very, very high speed and the car is being held back by massive wind resistance (in both cases the engine is trying to move the car in one way, and interia/drag is trying to keep the car still/make it go slower - any weakness in the clutch which sits between the two (engine & driven wheels) shows up as a result.)

If it's not quite so predictable as that, it might not be worn and may just need adjusting. What clutch is it, do you know? Best advice would be to find a competent mechanic & get them to see what they think, TBH.

not sure pal, only bought car yesterday. the guy said he did it in august 2008. so not sure. what about quick fit etc would they know. toyota are just to expensive. i have ordered new timing kits and plugs and leads. is there anything else worth checking or replacing. any help woulod be great. i did not by this to thrash it though.

I wouldn't go to kwik fit or Toyota TBH. Find a local expert, if there aren't any, take it to an expert further afield. Find a Supra owner nearby who can recommend someone so you don't end up paying for something twice. :)

Other stuff to replace - check the FAQ section for service intervals.

No worrie chap, enjoy the car! Sounds like you're planning on treating her well, best way in my book - I'm sure it'll reward you for your investment.

Check through this if you didn't before buying, it may highlight any issues.

And this is another good guide to read before you get cracking on those maintenance bits & bobs.

Toyota's standard service schedules for the Supra are here courtesy of Nic.