The mkiv Supra Owners Club

choosing 2-3.5K rwd jap daily drive

Guest infin1tty

Guest infin1tty

Hi peops, I decided to post up an independent post about choosing a 3k rwd car, as most of you either had or have experience with s14a,supras, r33gts-t....

I am truly undecided what I might get after selling my civic coupe,.. /130ishbhp/ and wanted to climbed to around 200bhp rwd/supra, r33gtst,s14a,rx7/, or fwd/itr, prelude/

as I know honda, and luved every bit of it,.. I am a big fan of reliable vtec engines..

though, I love drifting/watchin it/ would love to try it aswell, and maybe take the car out of UK for a summer vacation across Europe to the seasides, meet friends, my family,..

I know that Skyline has crossed border of Slovakia/Czechoslovakia/ like once in a blue moon, there is one or maybe two supras in the whole country and no s14a..

meaning, It would feel exotic to drive those cars once you leave Germany behind..

/as continental europe has far less chances to lay hand on modded jap..imports than UK/

well, frankly my budget would be 2k-3k.. which means I could perhaps get an automatic supra, or r33 gtst... looks great, just would swallow me on the petrol costs.. and skyline insurance would be double or triple of supra/800 vs. 1k-2+k/

then there is my heartbreaking s14a..which I fell in love at the first sight, as well as with supra and r33 lol, but

s14a.. is cheaper on insurance, perhaps tax and surely fuel economy is better 34mpg with light foot across Europe sounds good to me.

Overall, I am not looking for a good track toy, or looking for amazing power, just for a nice looking jap rwd, affordable, good handling, decent power, maybe minor upgrades, and fun to sit in and drive for long time on the motorway, across Europe or around the block, cruising at night.. for a summer/or a year or so...

1. love supra looks

2.love r33 exclusivity on the european roads /plan a summer europe trip/

3. love overall package for the money in s14a

thanks for any comments, ideas..[sHOCK][/sHOCK]

my jap performance interest started with the S14 (i had both models for a couple of years each) i loved the cars and other than a cracked manifold on one never had a spot of bother, i know they are a few years old now but then again so are all the other cars on your list, i think for what you want the S14 would be the logical choice and if you can find an unmolested one the only improvement i would make is to get some better suspension as they can be a bit soggy.

I know this is a supra forum but i would stay well clear of the n/a supe, the performance of the

stock S14 would be at least comparable (and dare i say a bit better) but the real winner would be fuel economy for your trans continental trip as the S14 is lighter and a litre smaller, unlike the n/a supe you also have the potential to tweak the boost up a bit and get some more performance, go with the Datsun :eyebrows:

Preludes are great cars and with a 3K budget you could get a really nice type-s with 220hp. In the twisties they can embarass a lot of expensive machinery. If it were me I'd get the s14a as I've always liked them but if you want something fast and RELIABLE to do long journeys in but then take out and thrash when the feeling arises, then the prelude is a good candidate.

As per my reply to the same question in your other thread, S14a all the way.

If you like drifting then get an S14a, if your budget is £2-£3k then 100% get an S14a. The prices that they sell for with basic mods is well within your budget, you might have change too, and did I mention it woudl also be manual too for that budget.

They are also sprintier than N/A's, with basic mods they are miles quicker than an N/A.

Go into the stage side of things (1, 1a,) then you will be able to keep up with TT's. Go to stage 3a then you have a very fast car that will trouble a BPU supra (to a certain point).

However if looks is what you want then I would buy a Supra but save a little more and get a manual.

Guest infin1tty

thanks alot guys.. I really DO APPRECIATE all the comments, help and effort.. you put into helpin me..

I see your points, and I am quite happy to see and read all the good stuff about s14a as I was afraid that it would be more like go for supra.. only because you all got them.. same as with civics forums..and other places..

I will probably make up my mind, once I know how much I get for my civic coupe..

then I will add some more, and see what I can get for the money..

but gtst s got the least attention here..and I see that fuelwise the gtst would be even worse than supra n/a...

I see, maybe I find a nice, white, spot on supra n/a which would be my choice then..

if not..and I see s14a in a decent condition, I get that one..

or even prelude seems like a cheap and good choice.. even though is not as exotic in the continental europe as supras or s14a..are...:D

I m going to do some more read ups.. and watch the sales of supras here on the forum..

I have not heard anything about supras fuel consumtion from you guys.. n/a .. the lightest foot and the best economy I get on the steady motorway 10 hours driving..would be 26-28mpg maybe???

s14a would give me 32-34mpg , i guess.. not a huge difference.. well, still somthing to think about...

and performancewise... as I see the honest modest supra n/a owners saying that standard s14a would be a bit quicker, as well as prelude type S, and ITR ...

as

supra n/a 0-60 is 6.9 right? 1/4 mile 15.2 or 14.2?

s14a, itr, prelude are more like 0-60 in 6.2 secs.. - 6.5 secs.. right

I know its not all about the numbers.. honestly If I got enough for the nice TT supra, and money left for the tax, insurance, running costs... I d get one, not pause a second.

Can I possibly suggest a Toyota Soarer 2.5 TT? very very comfy cars, a bit on the heavy side, but quite quicker. My standard TT is quicker than my mate's 200sx, which is stage 1, bearing in mind the 200sx weighs a heck of a lot less than the Soarer which is a 1,600kg car!

I'd also say it is not always about looking at paper numbers and theory, try to test drive some cars, a 200sx, a Soarer, Prelude etc. then you will be making an informed choice as opposed to going by paper tech specs.

:)

rev 3 and up Mr2 turbo mate, they'll ruin pretty much everything 0-60. Its about the most bang for your buck you can get in the price range you are looking at. the 3sgte engine is bullet proof too.

I had a video on here of the supra pod day in 2007 where rogue motorsports had their mr2 tubby doing a few runs. I don't think it went up against a supra on here and lost. Sure, their mr2 is fettled with, but it just shows they are seriously underestimated by most.

Guest infin1tty

thanks.. well, to be honest I do not fancy mr2,, even though I have no doubt its the best bang for buck, I d probably think about supra/s14a... or maybe even ITR /they go for 3,5 these days/ ...

thanks again for all the commments..

ps. just a thought what you guys think of FTOs, GTOs , 300zx ??

Guest willismaximus

Well as an ex S13 owner I have to say I loved it to bits and the only reason I got rid of it at the time was because it failed it's MOT on a few niggly bit's but at the time I was struggling financially and just just couldn't keep it going. I'd also love to get hold of an S14 at some point because i'm a big fan of those too.

The Supra is still a gorgeous car and lots of fun but for your purposes I think you'd be better off with the Nissan.

thanks.. well, to be honest I do not fancy mr2,, even though I have no doubt its the best bang for buck, I d probably think about supra/s14a... or maybe even ITR /they go for 3,5 these days/ ...

I'd have an MR2 over an ITR any day. ITRs are nice cars, but you'll be paying a lot more for one. I payed under £1500 for my n/a MR2 and it puts a lot of other cars to shame. Plus is has a sexy curvy body, and with the engine above the rear wheels, grip is amazing in the dry... The wet weather, however, will kill you :lol:

The MR2 is a drivers car, built for looks, speed and enjoyment. Ticks all the boxes. You can pick a rev2 turbo up for thr £2k mark now, then you have change to play with!

But if you REALLY don't want one, then an S14 is the way to go... Though I hear their engines aren't the best... anyone know much about them?

Though I hear their engines aren't the best... anyone know much about them?

The SR20DET is a great engine, which I would say is just as reliable as the 3s-GTE from what i've seen. Tuning costs are similar too.

I would personally avoid an MR2 turbo if it's your first RWD car as they can be a handful if pushed.

The S14 is a great first RWD car as it has very safe and predictable handling (so long as the suspension hasn't been messed around with) Just make sure that you have decent tyres fitted :)

I used to have an S14 years ago and loved it (as well as modding it to bits). They are great cars but IMO in terms of build quality and presence the TT Supra is miles ahead :)

I think out of your list get an S14 for a daily drive, as it wont financially kill you with insurance and petrol costs such as the Skyline :( Its reliable and a very good car to learn the fundamnentals of turbo RWD.

Me personally, if I had 3k to spend on a daily driver RWD, I'd go for something like a V8 or TT Soarer. I see the TT Soarer as something that could keep up with a TT Supra in a straight line and the V8 as a barnstormingly good cruiser with that V8, but not the quickest car in the world if you know what I mean. Still with that V8 soundtrack who cares eh?? A good TT soarer can be had for 2K and a good V8 can be had for 1k ish if your lucky. They are seriously undervalued cars IMO.

As for 300ZXs the TT is notoriously unreliable and difficult to work on. However the NA is supposed to be very reliable, cheap and again would make a good car to tour around europe if you could find one for a decent price :)

Hope that helps

Where did you get that from? The only problem I've ever heard of them having is to do with the auto box overheating but other than that everyone I know thats had one has really like them.

Errm various owners forums such as the SXOC the Z forums etc etc. Its only what I've read, I've never had a 300ZX TT :)

Where did you get that from? The only problem I've ever heard of them having is to do with the auto box overheating but other than that everyone I know thats had one has really like them.

my mate had one and although he never had many issues with it i think its acknowledged its not as bullet proof as the 2JZ and there is absolutely no disputing they are an total pig to work on (engine out to get to the turbos etc) besides its not on the OP's shopping list so i dont think we need to get bogged down on 300ZX's ;)

Guest infin1tty

thanks alot again, Im really amazed by the amount of info and useful stuff I learn here..

I do appreciate that..

well, I was doing some research along the way.. and did some read up on FTOs...

I was surprised people say they are slow.. as FTO GPX /2L n/a mivec / has 200bhp and does 0-60 in 6.8sec.. thats a 0.1more than n/a supra... and they go for round 2k...

look great.. /similar to supra in some aspects.. lights..etc../ and supposedly handle well, still in return you have 32-34+ mpg.. and a fast car.. FWD though..

but FTO sounds like a nice compromise of price, running costs, petrol money, looks, shape, power, and handling..

does anyone have any kind of thought on that.?

though thinking bout soarer TT , rare to find though. perhaps more on friday ad or gumtree than pistonheads.. love the looks of them.. not sure about mpg in tt soarer?

I had an FTO years ago, tip gearbox is awesome, 8.9k redline V6 noise is awesome, looks awesome, (when lowered with some nice wheels). I'd hardly call it fast though. Read what you like into 0-60 times, but I think an N/A supe would kill it.

As a cruiser and everyday car, brilliant. If you want road presence and wow factor, probably not.

rev 3 and up Mr2 turbo mate, they'll ruin pretty much everything 0-60. Its about the most bang for your buck you can get in the price range you are looking at. the 3sgte engine is bullet proof too.

Ditto that, would be my choice.

AFTER

A turbo MX5 :D