The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nightmare replacing the oil filter

themodifiedkid

Right this afternoon i decided to do an oil change, 30 minute job i though as when I had an na this is all it took.

Yeah right 2 hours later still pi**ing about. I don't know whether I was having a blonde moment or not as i'm usually quite mechanically minded. But I struggled like anything just to get the old oil filter off. I couldn't for the life of me get my hand down the side of the engine bay to get hold of it (tt engine). I then tried jacking the car right up and trying to get hold of it from underneath, i had my hand on it but just couldn't spin it off, couldn't fit any tools in there to grip it either.

Drastic measures, from the engine bay i whacked a long screwdriver through it to wrench it, finally i freed it up, oil pi**ing everywhere then gut back under the car and managed to spin it off by hand and ended up dropping it, so more pi**ing about trying to fish it out. By the end my engine bay looked like an oil explosion and I was absolutely covered. :(:taped:

Anyway all cleaned up now and filter and oil sorted, there must be some easier way at getting to the filter. Probably something so simple that im gonna end up kicking myself.

Don't fancy doing that again in a hurry, mind you it doesn't help with a broken wrist :p:d

Has nobody figured that if you unbolt the power steering reservoir and just move it out of the way, it will give you enough access to remove the filter;)

Thats how i did it. I have big hands though so i did struggle but i got there :)

Sounds like the previous person over-tightened the filter. When that happened to me, the chain-wrench is was using just cut through the sidewall of the filter :( Had to borrow a cup-wrench from a mechanic to get it off, and STILL had to put my full weight on the breaker bar to shift it.

It helps having slim arms - I can get to the stock filter location without shifting anything :p