The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Very close to take the step, to buy a Supra

Bugs

First of all, I'm not english, so sorry for any mispelling or such :)

I do have some questions regarding buying a MKIV in the UK, and I hope its allright that I ask them here.

1) Whats MOT? I see alot of you writes "MOT paid until xx/xx"

2) What should I worry about when buying a car in the UK from a private person? What should be done to make sure that I'm not getting played?

3) I would prefer to buy a MKIV from one of this forum users, but if thats not the case, what should I look out for so I dont get cheated?

4) Is it possible to get in touch with some people, who can overlook the MKIVs I might get interested in? I mean, I'm all the way from Denmark, and its not a cheap trip to the UK :) So it would be nice to get some support from one of the experienced MKIV owners. If I find a car, could you then tell me whats good or bad about it and such?

I think thats it for now. Thanks for a great forum, which I read everyday. I'm really close to go and buy a Supra, and I guess its must be done soon, since I'm driving my gf crazy with all the Supra talk :p

1) MOT is a test all UK cars over 3 years old have to pass. It's to show that the vehicle is roadworthy in accordance with the government guidelines. Details here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/index.htm

2) Make sure you get a receipt for any deposit, and ask on here for a local member or trader to view the car and make sure it's all up to spec.

3) See above, plus click on the following link: What to check when buying a Supra

4) As above, members help other members on here all the time in situations like yours. I'm sure someone will be able to help.

MOT is a standard vehicle check Bugs. It is a requirement on all vehicles over 3 years old. It covers basic stuff like lights, suspension components, emissions etc.

Advice

These guides will ensure you don't buy a bad car.

You would be well advised to buy from a good owner on the forum.

If you see a car you like. Post the details up and ask if anyone would like to look it over. Alternatively you can get an independent vehicle check carried out by a proper inspector. R A C - Royal Automobile Club or A A - Automobile Association being two of the good ones. Costs can be high though £150 approx.

Hope it helps and good luck. :)

1) MOT is a certificate of basic road-worthiness which lasts 1 year. All cars in the UK need a valid MOT.

2+3) Same precautions as normal. You're more likely to get a good deal from a private seller. Just make sure the car looks straight, the body panels line up, all the usual things to look out for. Nothing specific to watch out for in a supra, although you should make sure the heater still works well: this is a horrible job to repair.

Thanks Gaz. A very informative answer :)

And yeah, I really like the mentality of the users of this forum. Not affraid to help others out etc. Its nice to see.

On 2) What should be canceled? Any papers I should ask for and such?

Thanks Gaz. A very informative answer :)

And yeah, I really like the mentality of the users of this forum. Not affraid to help others out etc. Its nice to see.

On 2) What should be canceled? Any papers I should ask for and such?

The owner will have a document called the V5, which has sections that must be filled in by both the buyer and the seller. It's nothing complex, and you shouldn't have to do anything else to transfer ownership of the car over to you.

Thanks alot everyone :)

Colsoop > Well, I'm looking every day for a car with a price tag on, I can pay. Its a little tricky in Denmark regarding importing a car. You dont just pay the price of the car and then take it home.

First you have to take it to a guy, who looks it over and determines what the car would be worth in Denmark. Thats the market value of the price. On top of that price, you have to put 66% for a registration fee ( Think its called that in English ). So if I find a car which costs, lets say 12k in the UK. Then it suddently costs 24k in Denmark, when you're all done and ready to cruise in it

Thanks alot everyone :)

Colsoop > Well, I'm looking every day for a car with a price tag on, I can pay. Its a little tricky in Denmark regarding importing a car. You dont just pay the price of the car and then take it home.

First you have to take it to a guy, who looks it over and determines what the car would be worth in Denmark. Thats the market value of the price. On top of that price, you have to put 66% for a registration fee ( Think its called that in English ). So if I find a car which costs, lets say 12k in the UK. Then it suddently costs 24k in Denmark, when you're all done and ready to cruise in it

Thats frightening.

What about.... buying one, scoring all the paintwork to hell to make it appear worthless, get it through the tests then spend 4k on a re-spray?

Thats frightening.

What about.... buying one, scoring all the paintwork to hell to make it appear worthless, get it through the tests then spend 4k on a re-spray?

Someone talked about, that you cant do that anymore. They will consider earlier reviews of the car as well.

Someone talked about, that you cant do that anymore. They will consider earlier reviews of the car as well.

Damn, my brilliance is just a decade too late then lol.

That is really hard going though, i can see why you want to make sure you get a mint car :)

I think Gaz has covered all your questions.

Do you have any cars in mind yet ? If you do post up some links im sure we could help you pick a good one.

Do you have a budget in mind or even what type of Supra ?

Oh. Well, I think my top price will be around 10k. Type of Supra would be a TT manual. I wont diss a TT auto, but its not me with a N/A.

Color etc. Dosent matter much. Of c. It would be nice to get a car, with a bodykit already mounted, but its not a must have.

A aerotop would be nice, but again, not a must have :)

I hope that my "demands" arent too high.

Damn, my brilliance is just a decade too late then lol.

That is really hard going though, i can see why you want to make sure you get a mint car :)

Yeah. Btw, some of the people on one of the danish car sites, talks about you should be very cautious when buying a car in the UK because of the weather, rust and bad condition of the roads. Any truth in that?

Yeah. Btw, some of the people on one of the danish car sites, talks about you should be very cautious when buying a car in the UK because of the weather, rust and bad condition of the roads. Any truth in that?

Definitely, its one of the main reasons people put down the UK models.

Depending on how the car is stored and the conditions its driven in can make a MASSIVE difference to the suspension components and chassis.

You shouldn't worry too much about the bodywork as its pretty much rust proof other than a few area's but make sure you get yourself under the car for a good look.

A car that is garaged and is driven sparingly in bad weather is going to be far better underneath than one that is driven all year round and not garaged etc.

lots of truth in that... i spent 9 hours travelling UK yesterday viewed 5 supras and to buy the 1...

so i bought 2 from japan last night...

few years back there was a lot of good supras in UK but now there is not so many top ones..

Scott > Yeah, thats what I heard too. And I guess it would be nice to meet up with someone who got a Supra from the UK, to see if its been driven badly or such.

Jurgen > I actually looked at your danish partner, Japanerimport.dk for a Supra. The only thing is, that while its a good service companys like you and him provide, its kinda expensive in Denmark :)

Scott > Yeah, thats what I heard too. And I guess it would be nice to meet up with someone who got a Supra from the UK, to see if its been driven badly or such.

Jurgen > I actually looked at your danish partner, Japanerimport.dk for a Supra. The only thing is, that while its a good service companys like you and him provide, its kinda expensive in Denmark :)

i understand:)....

am sure you can find a good one here;)

i understand:)....

am sure you can find a good one here;)

I sure hope so.

Also that, it seems that the sellers on here, have a rep to keep up, and therefor wouldnt sell a bad car. Which is very positive I think :)