The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coppers ok with BPU?

Duffman

Personally I dont like the idea of precious metal plugs anyway, probably totally unfounded but I just prefer to use good quality copper plugs gapped appropriately and just change them more often. From what I've read on here and other forums, more people have problems that eventually get solved by changing back to copper plugs.

Personally I dont like the idea of precious metal plugs anyway, probably totally unfounded but I just prefer to use good quality copper plugs gapped appropriately and just change them more often. From what I've read on here and other forums, more people have problems that eventually get solved by changing back to copper plugs.

Whats an example of a good quality copper plug then as i'll need to get myself some...I feel iridiums are a bit of a rip off to be honest.

Could you give me a link? Also who did you get to gap them? I've never gapped a set of plugs but probably is really easy to do

Whats an example of a good quality copper plug then as i'll need to get myself some...I feel iridiums are a bit of a rip off to be honest.

Could you give me a link? Also who did you get to gap them? I've never gapped a set of plugs but probably is really easy to do

NGK's are what I use, I cant remember the number but its in the FAQ's, get a hotter grade aswell for bpu. Copper is safer if you have a problem, as the electrode melts and ceases to work whereas iridium will break off and cause damage to the engine in the event you get det or knock.

Gapping them is easy, just use a feeler gauge and gently widen/tap-in untill the feeler gauge just catches on the electrode as you slide it through.

Just wondering as i'm thinking of changing to coppers from my IK22's as they don't seem to be doing the job. Will have to chanmge them more often but are they ok to use?

What job are they not doing? 22's lasted very little time in my BPU. 24's have held up much better.

The car just seems to be running sh*t & think it could be down to the plugs. They haven't doen that many miles either

Not hugely descriptive with your problem there are you.....

Iridium plugs will last longer providing you select the correct heat range. If you drive hard then go with IK24's. Being BPU makes no difference to the plugs unless you use the extra boost. Harder you drive the more heat you have to shift through the plug. If you stay below 4k then you risk fouling them up.