The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Major major problem! Please help!!

dani_r

Guys,

I have a rather large problem!

I stupidly left the lights on in the Supra, and came back out to it to find it obviously dead! I was in a rush so managed to grab some people to help push it and try to bump-start it! (oh dear) When it eventually got going it didn't sound very healthy at all! Very very lumpy, almost sounding like it was down on a cylinder!

It has been suggested that I might have damaged something by doing this!

I have the battery on charge at the moment and I also have work at 6.30am!

Can someone please help tell me what's happened? I don't know if it's just coz there was no juice and it needs a good charge and it will be ok, or have a skipped a tooth on the timing belt?

Cheers :(

From a very unhappy Dan

Guys,

I have a rather large problem!

I stupidly left the lights on in the Supra, and came back out to it to find it obviously dead! I was in a rush so managed to grab some people to help push it and try to bump-start it! (oh dear) When it eventually got going it didn't sound very healthy at all! Very very lumpy, almost sounding like it was down on a cylinder!

It has been suggested that I might have damaged something by doing this!

I have the battery on charge at the moment and I also have work at 6.30am!

Can someone please help tell me what's happened? I don't know if it's just coz there was no juice and it needs a good charge and it will be ok, or have a skipped a tooth on the timing belt?

Cheers :(

From a very unhappy Dan

Doubt you've done any damage. I'd say the ECU lost power and reset itself when you bump started it.

Very unlikely you've done any damage, the manuals should jump start without an issue.

As you've removed the battery and put it on recharge it will reset the ECU and alarm so should be fine once it's back in. Just take it easy for the first few miles to allow the ECU to sort itself out.

If issues continue it'll just be a dud battery that didn't like running flat, new one required.

Doubt you've done any damage. I'd say the ECU lost power and reset itself when you bump started it.

Very unlikely you've done any damage, the manuals should jump start without an issue.

As you've removed the battery and put it on recharge it will reset the ECU and alarm so should be fine once it's back in. Just take it easy for the first few miles to allow the ECU to sort itself out.

If issues continue it'll just be a dud battery that didn't like running flat, new one required.

:yeahthat:

Excellent! :) If this is the case then I will be seriously relieved! This is my primary mode of transport at the moment, and this breaking would not be good.

I guess we'll find out in the morning is she's ok.

As an aside, is it possible to jump start an auto?

Yes - you just push the RED BUTTON and the car will start automatically ;)

This works even with out a battery or an engine (I believe it uses the Flux Capacitor - see previous posts) :)

-------------------

PS: Good question, I've got an auto and don't really know either :(

G

As an aside, is it possible to jump start an auto?
Jump start, yes

Bump start, no

Just so we're all on the same page here, i didn't jump start it, i tried to bump start it! Not sure if that makes any difference :)

don't worry mate; no difference to the ECU reset situation.

An auto should never be bump started, the oil pump is not running so it can cause serious damage to the torque convertor and gearbox. On an manual it's fine to do.

Jump starting is not advised on any Supra, it's often reported this fries many electrical components, including the ECU.

An auto should never be bump started, the oil pump is not running so it can cause serious daamge to the torque convertor and earbox.

Jump starting is not advised on any Supra, it's often reported this fries many electrical components, including the ECU.

I've jumped mine quite a few times... cant quite see how it would fry any of the electrical components - not as if you increasing the voltage...

I've jumped mine quite a few times... cant quite see how it would fry any of the electrical components - not as if you increasing the voltage...
IIRC, a couple of folks have had a failed Igniter Pack after attempting to jump start Supras.

:shrug:

Saying that though, I've jump started mine loads of times without issue.

I had meant BUMP start. I thought perhaps you could start rolling down the street in N and quickly put it in D. Don't worry I would never seriously try that, it just doesn't seem right somehow!

I have jump started it once a few years back, with no probs AFAIK.

Just a quick update as I haven't been able to get on here for a few days!

Managed to get hold of a charger, charged it overnight, was outside at 5:45am fitting it back in as I had work at half 6.

Fitted it all back in, turned the key and hey presto she started no problems, just the usual sound! Excellent!

Turning that key had to be the most nerve wrecking moment of my Supra ownership so far! Thanks to everyone who helped me (and calmed me down! :D)