The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Progress at last!

pedrosixfour

Dropped the old girl off to get the roll cage fitted last night.

After all the eyeball drying hours spent trying to locate a suitable bolt-in cage on the net I got talking to an engineer not far from me, turns out he has built a few in the past, I managed to track down an example of his work and I was suitably impressed.

I asked him would he be interested in fabricating a weld in cage for me, I supplied him with the details, he got back to me with a price and said we'd compare prices on the material (C.D.S.). My quote turned out to be the best so I ordered in the tubing last week and dropped car and tubing off at his place last night.

The cage is closely based on the fine example Wez had fitted to his car, I thought a good example of a genuine Supra cage would cut out alot of the headaches associated with fabricating something from scratch. I downloaded every shot and angle of the cage I could find (sorry Wez ;)) and when you put them all together they offer a fairly detailed build guide.

I'm expecting the car back sometime next week then, if all is well, I can finally crack on with fitting the UK brakes and set of freshly booted (Eagle F1's) 17" Volks I bought from Michel Lane months ago along with an uprated anti-roll bar and polybush kit I sourced locally. Nic is supplying me with a Carbing front brace, hopefully the cage negates the need for a rear one.

There is still a fair amount to locate and fit, seats, harnesses and the like (the list varies according to budget!) but I feel the cage was the biggest hurdle I faced and now with that hopefully in the bag I can actually think about getting out on a track before the summer is in full swing:ecstatic:

Wish me luck!

Damien.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Yep!

I have done day courses and such but I wanted to save the €500-a-pop expense and build my own version of a track car, but I don't want any excuses for not pushing both the car and myself so safety must be covered in my opinion.

Start slow, and build the speed alongside the experience.

I respect that you're investing in safety devices, but don't think you're being sensible in respect to the approach of "pushing both the car and [yourself]" so much that you expect to need a cage. In all likelyhood, with no prior experience and if you can manage to avoid the infamous red mist and remember that you've invested a lot of time & money into it, you will find your limits much sooner than the cars.

Start slow, and build the speed alongside the experience.

I respect that you're investing in safety devices, but don't think you're being sensible in respect to the approach of "pushing both the car and [yourself]" so much that you expect to need a cage. In all likelyhood, with no prior experience and if you can manage to avoid the infamous red mist and remember that you've invested a lot of time & money into it, you will find your limits much sooner than the cars.

Your concerns are duely noted and appreciated Steve ;)

I may have come over a little "gung ho" in that last post. What I mean to say is that I don't want my own safety to be playing on my mind much less a mate's when I should be enjoying the essence of motorsport.

As I have invested so much time and money at this stage in this project it would be pointless and foolish of me to hit the track with the notion that I'll be the first person to break the sound barrier in a NA Soop!

The real objective is to learn more about cars in general, what difference small changes to suspension set-up and such translate to in on-track behaviour as my knowledge of such things is very limited. The car will be an on going project for a long LONG time to come.

But should I find the time and money to get competitive the roll cage is a requirement for even the entry level series in Time Attack in this country so it was a point that needed to be addressed one way or the other.

But should I find the time and money to get competitive the roll cage is a requirement for even the entry level series in Time Attack in this country so it was a point that needed to be addressed one way or the other.

A cage is not required for Club level entry.

I think you're pretty crazy spending so much money on a cage so early on, but hey that's up to you - I hope it provides the confidence / security you feel you need. :)

A cage is not required for Club level entry.

I think you're pretty crazy spending so much money on a cage so early on, but hey that's up to you - I hope it provides the confidence / security you feel you need. :)

http://www.mondello.ie/images/data/gallery/29_4482_2009%20Time%20Attack%20Club%20Series%20Tech%20Regs-CSTF2009.pdf

Its needed in Ireland mate, simple as.