The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Idling issues - overfueling?

Duffman

I've had some problems with the idle on my supe for some time now...in fact i'm starting to get used to it as it's been so long.

Car starts up with a puff of smoke out the exhaust and revs about 700RPM...if I give it a rev & then release the accelerator the revs drop right down to 200RPM as if its going to cut out but then they creep back up to 700RPM...when I have taken it for a drive and the engine is fully heated up it will idle at about 1100RPM :blink:

I have been having these idling problems since trying to fit a Greddy BCC incorrectly. The car was overfuelling like mad and I ended up ruining the plugs. Bought a set of IK22's to replace the old plugs.

It looks to me like there is something not right with the fuelling. Would these symptoms relate to over fueling? Also how would I get this problem sorted out?

idle control valve maybe, seems like its slow to react after you blip the throttle off idle. Try cleaning it, if nothing else it'll make you feel like your trying something!

I have removed the 2 bolts before to give it a clean...but couldn't get the 2 screws out which hold it together asd the screws were fudged

From what you're describing, i would reset/adjust the TPS.

I was thinking something along the line sof the TPS as this is where the BCC gets wired into and it was one of these wires which were cut...how would I reset/adjust the TPS?

Have you checked that your getting a good spark from all the plugs?

Does it run like a suberpoo when idling?

A while back my car was sitting for a while and when i fired it up it had the suberpoo rumble. I took off the coil packs one at a time (replacing them after each turn) to see if any didn't make a difference. One didn't, changed the clip on it and gave it all a good clean... hey presto job done.

Other than that TPS or IDC.

Have you checked that your getting a good spark from all the plugs?

Does it run like a suberpoo when idling?

A while back my car was sitting for a while and when i fired it up it had the suberpoo rumble. I took off the coil packs one at a time (replacing them after each turn) to see if any didn't make a difference. One didn't, changed the clip on it and gave it all a good clean... hey presto job done.

Other than that TPS or IDC.

Wouldn't say it sounds like a suberpoo when idling...it was like that before and I chnged the plugs because they were soaking.

Changed all the connectors not long ago made no difference.

What is the IDC?

My cars erattic idling issues was sorted with a change of spark plugs along with a number of other faults.

What were the other issues as I chnaged the plugs not long ago to some IK22's

It gave me a faulty MAP sensor signal as well as a camshaft fault signal, the car sometimes liked to run in "safe" mode where it limits the revvs to less than 2k so not to ruin the engine. I had iridium plugs in, i did 3000 miles and they were gone changed to a set of coppers and hasnt missed a beat yet.

I have removed the 2 bolts before to give it a clean...but couldn't get the 2 screws out which hold it together asd the screws were fudged

I was thinking something along the line sof the TPS as this is where the BCC gets wired into and it was one of these wires which were cut...how would I reset/adjust the TPS?

I would definitely start with that, here are the pages from the manual for setting TPS.#

I have included the sub throttle adjustment pages should you need them.

It gave me a faulty MAP sensor signal as well as a camshaft fault signal, the car sometimes liked to run in "safe" mode where it limits the revvs to less than 2k so not to ruin the engine. I had iridium plugs in, i did 3000 miles and they were gone changed to a set of coppers and hasnt missed a beat yet.

Did you do a dignostics check?

Are coppers ok for a BPU car?

• 4 weeks later...

Chnaged to a set of coppers (BKR7E) and the idling issue is still there.

Do you think it may have upset the TPS when I was fitting the BCC? Don't want to start mucking about with this would rather someone who knew what they were doing do it...electrical stuff and me usually don't agree :blink: