The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bumper hairline crack.. can they reappear after fixing?

TRACIE_LOU

Please help...:)

A little while ago my car got damaged at a garage, they fixed it and got the bumper re-sprayed as it was in there care etc etc...

Now the problem i have is a small hairline crack forming exactly where it happened... and no i haven't gone and hit it myself there is no paint damage or new impact point etc just this hairline crack...

I will try and find original pic of damage and new one of crack so you can see...

What i want to know is this normal? i was told when the car was bieng repaired the bumper would be stronger as this was a worry of mine!:(:(

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they can reappear, fiberglass can be awkward after it has a weakness, it has probably appeared due to vibration. When repairing most places drill a little hole at the end of the crack to stop it spreading. then fill the the crack with paste or filler.

i spent hours preping and repairing mine. a month afetr it was back in the same place.

I'm gutted and worry its gonna get worse!.. i wish i had demanded a new bumper now, but the actual guy who was fixing it said no it was fine and would be stronger... So much for bieng all nice and understanding when it happened

I don't suppose i can go back and complain now either.. going to have to be a miserable bitch now and sulk:(

A good body shop will be able to do it properly and strong enough to keep it together until it gets a big smak.

I took about a foot out the front of one of my old bumpers as well as cracking it all around. I found the bit that was missing, although not quite all of it. We did it ourselves with a fibre glass kit and it came out really well. I then hit a dead badger when I was coming around a corner and although it cracked it, the crack was not a bad as before because of the fix we did 1st time round. Hitting a dead badger a 50mph would previously disintergrated the bumper:)

My point is a good workshop will sort you out;)

Yeah i see what your saying and if i had done the damage in the first place then ok... i'm just dissapointed that it got damaged in a garages care, They fixed it now showing a crack again when i was told the total opposite.... have i got a leg to stand on if i go back and complain?? or is it something i'm just going to have to cover costs of now myself?

A good body shop will be able to do it properly and strong enough to keep it together until it gets a big smak.

I agree. My fibreglass TRD spoiler had a smallish crack in it when it was delivered. The bodyshop insisted in digging it out properly before prepping and spraying it and it's been fine. :)

have i got a leg to stand on if i go back and complain??

How long ago was it exactly?

Sorry I didn't read your post propperly. Shoddy workmanship will indeed leave the area vunrable to cracking again. TBH I dont know where you stand in terms of the garge repairing/paying for it being fixed again sorry.

Good luck with it though, I'm sure someone will come along soon who can shed some light on that side of things.

With bumpers its normally common practice to plate the affected area before filling in. Its usually just a case of forming a bit of ally to brace behind the area and then fibreglassing it on. Then you cut out the crack from the front... properly.... and fill it in with fibreglass and filler.

Half arsed job has been done IMO.

I agree. My fibreglass TRD spoiler had a smallish crack in it when it was delivered. The bodyshop insisted in digging it out properly before prepping and spraying it and it's been fine. :)

How long ago was it exactly?

End of jan or beg feb as was originally in for mot.. when it happenend ....:( so not long at all

Well i spent hours on mine, in my mates bodyshop with his help, put lots of glass matting and resin behind the crack, used top materials, preped perfect, and mine spider webbed then came back as a hairline, repairing fiberglass is not garaunteed, and it depends on the original quality of the mould and location of the damage. some are lucky others aint

End of jan or beg feb as was originally in for mot.. when it happenend ....:( so not long at all

I'd be phoning them up ;) A diy repair by my sister would have lasted longer, crap workmanship as its not been repaired properly, it can be done :)

Half arsed job has been done IMO.

As is said above, not a proper job done.

If the crack was reinforced at the back with a couple of layers of mat and resin then the crack on the front showing should be dug out and filled with the filler thats got strands of mat in then sanded back and then filled with bodyfiller then you shouldnt have any more probs.

I make and repair bodykits for a living.

Believe it or not I repaired this bumper for a member on this forum (jim_1979)

As is said above, not a proper job done.

If the crack was reinforced at the back with a couple of layers of mat and resin then the crack on the front showing should be dug out and filled with the filler thats got strands of mat in then sanded back and then filled with bodyfiller then you shouldnt have any more probs.

I make and repair bodykits for a living.

Believe it or not I repaired this bumper for a member on this forum (jim_1979)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/RussMR2/jimladbefore.jpg

Similar, i repaired this....

attachment.php?attachmentid=91400&stc=1&d=1240347357

file0004442.jpg

About a year ago I had my kit fitted, during the fitting the numpty cut the wheel arch extensions to move them about 3mm. Now I have similar hair line cracks which always reappear even after 3 attempts at repair. At least I have matching cracks on each front wing. It reaches a point and then stops. Considering going down the same route as Hoff and doing a fibreglass kit repair, nothing to lose now. Garage have offered to repaint it once its fixed. I know how you feel its really frustrating. The other solution I'm considering is a vinyl wrap on the wings. Raccoon vehicle wraps have stated that the wrap would cover the crack and add strength to the joint, this could work out cheaper. Hope you get it sorted.

Would you be able to feel it behind bumper? Tony had a check when he got in from work but couldn't feel anything..

Should be able to feel if a repair or anything has been done.

If there is no repair on the back then all they have done is fill the crack with bodyfiller.